Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

*NEW* Stolen Car Listing Website

Options
  • 28-11-2007 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

StolenCarListings.com is a free website that is dedicated to allowing users to post the information regarding their stolen cars, they can copy the direct link on the listing page post it into the forums or noticeboards that they use, so other forum members can view the details. It gives the users an opportunity to broadcast their loss to a wider audience in the hope of finding some valuable information regarding their vehicle. On average there are 50 cars stolen a day in Ireland alone.
    Also if someone spotted one of the listed cars they can leave a message for the user that posted the listing with the details.

Also, just to note, the site is still in its beta stages and we are open to any suggestions or comments regarding the site.

Thanks to kbannon for letting us post this!

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Despite it being the first part of the post I had to look for the link so here it is...
    www.StolenCarListings.com

Purely from a web design perspective:
    * it badly needs content!
    * too many fields required on registration - the default year starts at 1900 which is a bit annoying (too long to scroll)
    * the regitration form took aaaaggggeeesss to process
    * whats the point of the tricolour/union jack?
    * get up a links page for RoI / NI / UK for insurance companys, police, etc.
    * validate your code - http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stolencarlistings.com%2F

good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

what happens if the stolen car is recovered? does the entry get deleted forever?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Its a great idea for a website. The question of whether an entry is deleted/retained when a car is a tricky one, if the details are retained then the site could be used by prospective buyers checking out the history of a car, like cartell.ie. You may or may not want the site to be used for such purposes.

Re. the registration page - the countries listed are Great Britain, N. Ireland, Rep. Ireland, Scotland and Wales - either Great Britain should be changed to England, or Scotland and Wales should be omitted. Also, it wouldn't let me complete my registration - it highlighted the password fields in red even though I had filled them out.

All the best with the site, I'm sure you'll be sucessful once these teething issues get sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

What is the point of this website? Are stolen cars going to turn up now because they are on a website? Are all our budding private detectives on boards.ie going to start looking for stolen cars around the country.
    If you are that concerned about car safety, fit a tracker to your car and take sensible precautions like locking all doors and windows and keep your keys in a safe place.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

TommyT wrote: »
    Are stolen cars going to turn up now because they are on a website?

Yes. People have posted details about their stolen cars here and on other sites before. On several occasions other peoples posts led to the stolen cars being recovered

@OP - good luck with the site!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Prevention is better than cure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

that's why there's a site called www.makingsureyourcarisnotstolen.com. you should register there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dr Lektroluv

This site would be very useful around tallaght or clondalkin areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

This site would be very useful around tallaght or clondalkin areas.

Why?, i have spent 30 years living in Tallaght and the last 5 in Clondalkin and have not seen a "robbed jammer" in years

Cormac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dr Lektroluv

Well I was just tryna help the disadvantaged people in those areas,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

"that's why there's a site called www.makingsureyourcarisnotstolen.com. you should register there."

...seems someone stole the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

thank goodness i set up www.stolenwebpagelistings.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

thank goodness i set up www.stolenwebpagelistings.com

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

kbannon wrote: »
    Despite it being the first part of the post I had to look for the link so here it is...
    www.StolenCarListings.com

Purely from a web design perspective:
    * it badly needs content!
    * too many fields required on registration - the default year starts at 1900 which is a bit annoying (too long to scroll)
    * the regitration form took aaaaggggeeesss to process
    * whats the point of the tricolour/union jack?
    * get up a links page for RoI / NI / UK for insurance companys, police, etc.
    * validate your code - http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stolencarlistings.com%2F

good luck with it.
    Thanks for the ideas, as said it still is in beta and all the kinks etc are being worked out!
    cornbb wrote:
    Its a great idea for a website. The question of whether an entry is deleted/retained when a car is a tricky one, if the details are retained then the site could be used by prospective buyers checking out the history of a car, like cartell.ie. You may or may not want the site to be used for such purposes.

Re. the registration page - the countries listed are Great Britain, N. Ireland, Rep. Ireland, Scotland and Wales - either Great Britain should be changed to England, or Scotland and Wales should be omitted. Also, it wouldn't let me complete my registration - it highlighted the password fields in red even though I had filled them out.

All the best with the site, I'm sure you'll be sucessful once these teething issues get sorted out.
    No, listings will never be deleted, once the rest of the functionality is added you can 'close' a listing which would render it inactive. Are you sure you entered a minimum of 8 characters for your password?

Thanks for all the feedback!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If your going to launch the site, at least get a proper design and system in place! (No offense)

I take it you did the design yourself? Are you a designer/developer or just rough hand?

I think the idea is nice, but the website needs a lot of work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Sully wrote: »
    If your going to launch the site, at least get a proper design and system in place! (No offense)

I take it you did the design yourself? Are you a designer/developer or just rough hand?

I think the idea is nice, but the website needs a lot of work!
    I agree totally, im mainly a developer myself. As with anything it costs money to do anything and as of now we dont have the money to pay for 'proper design' also any out of the box stuff wouldn't work so the whole back end had to be developed from scratch!

As stated it is a beta site so we are open to ideas and suggestions and by no means the site you see now is the finished product!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I know its Beta, but id expect a bit better for beta. But, I suppose, im a bit strict on design.

You could easily get a website done for about €500+ (design only). It gets more expensive depending on what backend you want, but if your a developer that shouldnt be an issue? A lot of freelancers on Adverts basically sell themselves for small projects!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

rofl - someone stole a Rover 25! As long as they burnt it out I'd be delighted.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

rofl - someone stole a Rover 25! As long as they burnt it out I'd be delighted.....

I'm sure the owner of the car would love to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I'm sure they would. Maybe they'd burn it out themselves and buy a decent car. Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭beatman91

I found one of my civics, and it was couse I posted on the site. It was rare enough and someone noticed it.

Advertisement