Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with VNC on Vodafone 3G

Options
  • 28-11-2007 1:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Good Evening all!

My parents are using Vodafone 3G in Monaghan for their broadband access and (for them at least) its a pretty decent service. However sometimes they require my help reconfiguring/removing or installing software and unfortunately I'm living 6,000 miles away!

I'm very familiar with VNC and have installed the VNC Server software on their PC. However I can't connect to it on either Port 5900 or 5800 (the default ports for native and browser/java based VNC clients).

I've even switched their VNC server to listen on Port 80 and Port 25 but still no luck.

The IP address I try to connect to is the one shown by the Vodafone application in the system tray, which seems to be a real IP address and is pingable.(at least something, somewhere responds to the ping)

-Has anyone managed to use VNC to connect to a PC that is accessing the internet over Voda3G? (i.e. the VNC Server side is on Voda3G)?

-Is anyone aware of ports that may be blocked by Vodafone?

-Is Vodafone perhaps blocking incoming connections for end-user/consumers (i.e non business) packages?

And yes, before you ask, I have turned off the firewall software!

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Gavinman.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I was always told that ALL ports were blocked on vodafone, I am yet to find an open one.................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Gavinman

Thanks Godskitchen!

If what you say is true, do you (or anyone else) have a suggestion on how I might manage their computer?

I could use gotomypc.com because it basically joins two outbound connections, but that's $29 per month.....almost the price of the broadband connection itself!!!

Any suggestions?

Gavinman

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Connect via VPN, Them to you should work. Then VNC should no know there is a WAN. You should both be on same subnet then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Have you tried logmein?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

I'll second logmein (as in log Me In - www.logmein.com)

They're free version works fine, and I've used it with Voda3G. Actually, now that I think of it I may only have used it outbound from a Voda connection, not sure if I've used it inbound to the Voda based PC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

http://www.webex.com/individual/buy_pcn.html

Webex is the Business for remote support sessions. All you need is HTTPS on both sides outgoing only, doesnt matter if your using a proxy or whatever.

Lots of businesses use it for remote support !

12.95 dollars a month is what .. 8 euro a month ?
    I've been using it for the past 2 years and its great :)

You could try their demo and see for yourself

Advertisement