Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download speeds

• 28-11-2007 2:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hey all,
    first thread so dunno if right forum.
    i have netopia 3347NWG router with 2048kbps speed yet when cabled from lan port am only getting 100kbps - is this normal and if not is there any way of gettin quicker speeds?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If you go to http://192.168.1.254/ in your browser, what does it say beside speed in the connection pane?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

go to www.speedtest.nl - pres on top icon "hand with a watch" , mark- "download" and run it couple time to get your average download speed....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

Who's your ISP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think you may be confusing kilobits with kilobytes.

If you're connected at 2048kbps you should be able to download at about 200KB/s. Since you're getting only about 100KB/s I reckon your router is only connecting to the ISP at 1Mbit (i.e. 1024kbps).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Have you got a 10mb lan card or a 100mb lan card?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

His network cards speed wont make a difference in the slightest. a 2048 connection should get about 240kbs. Each 512k shoudl get betwen 59-65kbs depending on his line quality and distance from the exchange. Also times of day can be a nightmare if his line has a high contention of say 48:1.

At this point op there is no point posting here, it would b better if you contact yoru isp after you try the speedtests listed above.

Advertisement