Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on new Bike

Options
  • 28-11-2007 2:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

hey
    im looking for a new bike at the moment, i have a 5 year old GT i-drive which is great but showing its age at this stage.
    Have a budget of 1000/1500 to spend
    Was thinkin of a hard tail for a change, but not realy sure as i do like whoreing down a bumpy mountain on the comfy GT.
    I would like a new bike (last few have been secondhand) but if a realy good secondhand came my way in my size i would buy it.

Any sugestions of bikes/bike shops greatly appreciated
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

The first place to start is by listing what you like and don't like about your current bike - that should give you a vague idea of what you want.

I'd say drop into every bike shop you can to get a good idea of what's available. Try Cycleogical, Cycleways and the Cycle Superstore as a start.

Personally I'd go for a hardtail with that budget - you'd get more for your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Maybe have a look at the Canyon site - Some amazing value on high specced hartails and full sussers at the moment, they seem to be getting rid of all their 07 stock. I bought one of the Grand canyon 8 sepcial editions and im really happy with it. Great spec, with the 08'frame and pretty light @ 10.8 kg

http://www.canyon.com/_en/outlet/list.html?type=mixed&special=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Cheers guys ......any other sugestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Morgan wrote: »
    I'd say drop into every bike shop you can to get a good idea of what's available. Try Cycleogical, Cycleways and the Cycle Superstore as a start.

Good suggestion. You get ideas when you see what is on offer.

I drove out to the new Cyclesuperstore shop in Tallaght (now in Hibernian Industrial Estate) and was impressed with the size of the new store (two levels) and the hundreds of bikes on display. I didn't buy anything, but I'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Cheers guys ......any other sugestions?

You can get one of these
    http://www.s-tec-sports.de/media/cases/giant_xtc_team_big.jpg
    for 1299 from here
    http://www.s-tec-sports.de

Great deal - several other nice bikes on that site soo. I'm considering buying from them in the new year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    hey
    im looking for a new bike at the moment, i have a 5 year old GT i-drive which is great but showing its age at this stage.
    Have a budget of 1000/1500 to spend
    Was thinkin of a hard tail for a change, but not realy sure as i do like whoreing down a bumpy mountain on the comfy GT.
    I would like a new bike (last few have been secondhand) but if a realy good secondhand came my way in my size i would buy it.

Any sugestions of bikes/bike shops greatly appreciated
    Cheers.

hate to keep reccomending them but, i think youl be making a mistake, if you like tearing down stuff, halfords do the gt i-drive 5 for e1100, unbelievable price for the bike, i remember reading in mtb rider, it got a gold star and won the price bracket it was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

kona wrote: »
    hate to keep reccomending them but, i think youl be making a mistake, if you like tearing down stuff, halfords do the gt i-drive 5 for e1100, unbelievable price for the bike, i remember reading in mtb rider, it got a gold star and won the price bracket it was in.

I'll second that, savage bike! Especially for that price...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Thanx a mill guys....Fanny-tastic to get some sugestions......i actually havnt been out on the bike in a few months cos it feels like s.h.i.t. when i do......creaks, groans. wobbles, chain is loose, gears out of synk, suspension tired, brakes not great ect ect.
    So i reckon a new bike will get me going again ( before i did a couple of hundred miles a week) and id love to do a few amature races.
    The i-drive in halfords looks good .....also saw CUBE on chainreactioncycles.com......anyone rate CUBE??

Anyone know of a club in/near gorey that go out on sunday (nothing to serious)

Advertisement