Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kitten wont eat

Options
  • 28-11-2007 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

hey folks

finally got a new kitten hes 14 weeks old have him two days now got him monday night... he's well playful and not shy or depressed or anything like that climbing all over me and the sofas....

... drank a bit of milk... let cat food and milk tue morning cam back from work and no food was eaten... just some millk...

.. he ate nothng yesterday evening and i dont know about this morning as the gfriend was checking in on him...

he dont seem like he sick or anything... nay ideas at all folks what migth be the matter?

thanks paddy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

Are you giving him kitten food, the cat food can be terribly heavy for them to manage. Try different flavours.... cat's can be picky ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Find out what type of food his previous owners were feeding him, he's probably used to that taste.
    You can wean him off it later on if you have to, but for now, it's probably the quickest solution.
    But do try the kitten food in the meantime. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Yeah, whenever you're bringing home a new animal, or minding someone else's animal, always take some of the food s/he's used to - and preferably take the bowl s/he's eaten out of up to now as well. Animals are conservative folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Make sure s/he is drinking plenty of fluids and try mixing some dry kitten food with some water or milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

He'll come around - its probably just the stress of the change of home. As everyone else said - use the same kitten food as he was used to, and most important of all - ensure that he is drinking.

My two, after the first day or two in their new home as kittens, were stressed out to the extent that they got severe diahrea (I can never spell that word!) and ended up in hospital for a night. :( Oddly - they were playing and happy looking through the whole thing!

Also - if its any reassurance - I was very surprised by how little they ate when they were that age. Tiny tummies! Not sure how much food you are leaving down - is there a chance the little guy is picking at things but not eating much?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

thanks for the replies will get kitten food on way home

the lad wee fella we had was younger again and he'd ate you hand :) no sweat but good to know not all kittens eat like him :)

thanks again

paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Hi Paddy,

Just I thought - you said you were giving him milk... were you giving cows milk or the specially formulated milk for cats? Many cats are lactose intolorant, and it could be putting a lot of pressure and bloating on his stomach. The old women who had my cat as a kitten would give her cow's milk, and she had terrible bloating and diahorea for 3 days after I got her. Once she was on the cat milk she was okay and her appitite returned.

If he doesn't go for the kitten food, perhaps put him on water or buy the milk with reduced lactose for cats - Whiskas do some that is quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sebastianv

Something our vet mentioned to us a while ago, when one of our own kitten (now a healthy big cat) went off it's food is that we got it their just in time, seems a cat or kitten should not go past 2 days without eating.
    Hope the little fellow is OK now.
    Seb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

are you giving him kitten food?
    also, you shouldn't be giving a kitten cows milk, has he got a dish of water?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭superficies

Agree with all the above. Give him cat milk and not milk for humans - he'll get sick on it. Also if he's not going with the ordinary food you could try a bit of staleish bread soaked in warm cats milk, which he's sure to like, and mix in a few very small bits of cooked chicken and carrots (guess whose cat is spoiled rotten?). We had the same problem when we got our little lady and in the end we discovered a magic brand of cat food called Royal Canin which is expensive (about 20 euro per bag but bag would last 3-4 weeks at least) that she loves with a tiny drop of warm water. Every one I know who ever had kittens who wouldn't eat got them going with this stuff - it's like crack for kittens. Now she has it in the morning with cat milk, then dry food (Go Cat or Whiskers for Kittens dry food) during the day while we're at work and another serving of royal canin at night.

• Advertisement
Advertisement