Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jewell Named as Derby Boss

• 28-11-2007 10:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭

very odd after turning down wigan, maybe he just prefers the championship!!
    bbc.co.uk wrote:
    Jewell left Wigan at the end of last season after keeping them up
    Former Wigan boss Paul Jewell has been named manager of struggling Derby on a three-and-a-half-year contract.

The 43-year-old Liverpudlian takes over from Billy Davies, who parted company with the East Midlands club on Monday.

The Rams are bottom of the Premier League after picking up just six points from their opening 14 games following promotion last season.

MK Dons boss Paul Ince was also in contention to succeed Davies, but Derby were refused permission to talk to him.

"It was the opinion of the board that the club's best interests would not be served by granting permission for an approach - a decision vindicated by Paul's desire to remain at stadium:mk," said a MK Dons statement.

"With reference to the continual speculation regarding Paul's future, the club would like to reiterate both Paul's ambition to achieve success in Milton Keynes and the club's determination to retain his services."

Jewell has been out of football management since quitting Wigan at the end of last season.

Since leaving the Latics he has turned down an approach from the Republic of Ireland and also rejected the chance to return to the Latics after Chris Hutchings was sacked.

The former Bradford City and Sheffield Wednesday manager was also linked with Bolton and Birmingham.

Derby face a hard task of preserving their Premier League status after winning promotion via the play-offs.

They have just one win so far this season, which came against Newcastle, and have conceded 33 goals.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

If Paul Jewell saves them, he's a bloody miracle worker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Cant see him turning them around..they dont have the squad for the PL.

its good for Derby anyway even if they go down they have another strong manager to bring them back up...hopefully stronger tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Good appointment by them, still think they'd have been better off just sticking with Davies though.

From Jewell's point of view its a bit of a strange one though, left Wigan because he was tired and stressed out with relegation dogfights. I got the impression he was waiting for a mid-tableish club to go for him that he could try and push on with. Although I suppose this won't exactly be a dogfight as it would take a miracle for them to even be in the running come april.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He could have had a cushy number with ROI but preferes hell in the trenches. Some managers deserve all the heartburn they get.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

This job will be his undoing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

This job will be his undoing.

i dont think so..he has nothing to lose as everyone expects them to go down.
    if he gets them playing better and makes a fight outta it it will be a success.
    if not then he'l have a better squad for the championship next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

this is a really good appointment for the Rams, I don't think they could have gotten anyone better... I dare say this appointment might potentially make the sacking of Davies seem a good thing, but it's far too early to call on that yet.

utterly astounded as towards Jewell's motivations though. if he held out for another month or so there'd probably be a much bigger club knocking on his door...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

considering he left Wigan due to the pressure, this move is :confused:

well at least he wont be linked with the Ireland job, thank god

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I can see him turning it around. I think with a few decent signings, with the bottom half so close to each other, I think he has as good a shot as anyone. A good manager can make the world of difference. Gona be a huge huge game against Sunderland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I reckon Roy Keane won't be too pleased about this, not for the match next Saturday but more so for the relegation battle as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

i didn't get it when derby sacked davies... i don't get it now that jewell's accepted the job. :confused:

i know there are 24 games left and only 7 points between the last 9 teams but he must see something i don't in the derby squad - i think they're veryv ery poor. either that or he's got pretty decent guarantees about being given next season in the championship too if they're fired... weird one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Good appointment by them, still think they'd have been better off just sticking with Davies though.
    Agreed. Davies was a victim of his own success, he dragged them from the lower reaches of the championship and they got promoted to the premiership with one of the weakest squads I've seen in recent memory. And then, simply put, he wasn't given the funds to strengthen.

In any case though, it's unlikely that financial expenditure would've saved them, purely because they weren't geared towards Premier League football yet - Davies said as much at the start of the season. He reckoned Derby were maybe 2 years ahead of schedule in gaining promotion so soon.

What an extraordinarily rash decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Oh Paul.... What are you doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think he'll save them and win Manager of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Who needs Mourinho, they've got Paul Jewellio, who needs Mourinho, Derby have Paul Jewellio..........

Advertisement