Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Some motor insurance questions

Options
  • 28-11-2007 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

Since I am currently in the process of buying a car, I was wondering if anyone has some advice regarding the motor insurance type and company I should choose.

I moved here from Germany 3 months ago, I am 27 and hold a full EU drivers' license since June 2006.

(1) Several threads in this forum indicate that I could (and should) change my license for a full Irish license. Now, does this have any effect on the premium I have to pay? Particularly, do I have to pay less with an Irish-issued license?

(2) A quick survey in the WWW revealed that in my case I will most likely have to pay around 2500 - 3000 EUR (assuming an 1.3l engine, car parked at a public road etc.), perhaps even more. Are there any better options available?

(3) I hear there are some insurance companies in the UK with good offers for foreign nationals. Can someone confirm this?

(4) This is probably a frequent question: I understand it is required by the law (and common sense, I suppose) to have a valid insurance when driving on public roads. Is it possible to buy the motor insurance before actually buying the car from the dealer -- provided that the car has been secured, e.g. using a reasonable deposit -- in order to drive away from the dealer with a valid insurance?

Thanks for your input!

Ralph

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

(1) Several threads in this forum indicate that I could (and should) change my license for a full Irish license. Now, does this have any effect on the premium I have to pay? Particularly, do I have to pay less with an Irish-issued license?

You could, but you don't need to. Your German license is EU and is 100% Valid in Ireland.
    (2) A quick survey in the WWW revealed that in my case I will most likely have to pay around 2500 - 3000 EUR (assuming an 1.3l engine, car parked at a public road etc.), perhaps even more. Are there any better options available?

Unfortunatly they probably won't recognise your no claims discount. Try quinndirect and FBD Insurance, their the most reasonable for someone in your situation i believe
    (3) I hear there are some insurance companies in the UK with good offers for foreign nationals. Can someone confirm this?

UK Insurance companies cannot insure Irish registered cars, unless they have an Irish registered Insurance company in Ireland
    (4) This is probably a frequent question: I understand it is required by the law (and common sense, I suppose) to have a valid insurance when driving on public roads. Is it possible to buy the motor insurance before actually buying the car from the dealer -- provided that the car has been secured, e.g. using a reasonable deposit -- in order to drive away from the dealer with a valid insurance?

Yes and No, You can get the insurance before hand and its valid as soon as you sign the change of ownership form on the back of the Vehicle registration cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 binaryrealm

craichoe wrote: »
    Unfortunatly they probably won't recognise your no claims discount. Try quinndirect and FBD Insurance, their the most reasonable for someone in your situation i believe

Thanks for the hints, I shall give it a try.

UK Insurance companies cannot insure Irish registered cars, unless they have an Irish registered Insurance company in Ireland

What about cars insured in Northern Ireland? Is it legal / possible to drive with a NI insured car in the Republic of Ireland? I currently live very close to the border of NI.
    Yes and No, You can get the insurance before hand and its valid as soon as you sign the change of ownership form on the back of the Vehicle registration cert.

There are no details required for the insurance, like for instance the chassis number and the like?

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

What about cars insured in Northern Ireland? Is it legal / possible to drive with a NI insured car in the Republic of Ireland? I currently live very close to the border of NI.

If you have an address in the Republic of Ireland then your car has to be registered in the republic. Same rules as in Holland, you can't buy a car in Germany and not register it in Holland if your address is in Holland.
    There are no details required for the insurance, like for instance the chassis number and the like?

Just the particulars of the Car.
    Registration , Make and Year

Advertisement