Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Parking

Options
  • 28-11-2007 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭

I've been learning to drive for quite a while now and I'm doing well in most areas... but one thing I just cant seem to get the hang of is parking. In a car park I need a few spaces in a row before I can move into one, same if I'm parking on the street. I never take up more than one space, I just needs lots of room to get into one. The fact that my car doesn't have power steering probably doesn't help.

Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

The only thing I could say to you is practice, practice, practice. Its amazing how fast you et the hang of parking in tricky spots!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Are you driving a Micra by any chance? :) (Hard to get a tight turning circle with those). Try practising reversing into a spot, you can turn a tighter corner when you're in reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Also (in a carpark) its easier to park if swing out to the opposite side of the road a bit first. (though you still need to check mirrors etc if its not a one way system(which they all should be if they dont have echelon parkin))

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I reverse park all the time, whether it's parrallel parking or in a car park. Just swing to the opposite side and take a look at whatever back wheel will be the axis. Once you have that lined up you can't really go wrong, of course keep an eye on the other back wheel and your front positioning so you have enough room to get out of the car etc.

You should also try and go into the tightest spot if the car park isn't busy, you'll get good practice if you keep this up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Is anyone familiar with the naas test centre? I got mine there next week and not too excited about the possibility of reversing into a space, on a hill, with that busy road beside me! My instructor says they 'may' ask me to do it, anyone any experience of having to do this for their test? ( in Naas?)

• Advertisement
Advertisement