Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

05 Beetle Cabriolet leaking in water

• 28-11-2007 12:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭

My friend has a 05 Beetle Cabriolet which is letting in a lot of water into the passenger footwell. I can see where the water is getting into the footwell itself. It's filling the profile section which is effectively the door pillar. What I cannot figure out is how it's getting into the pillar.

I have had nearly everything off, refitted and resealed and still the water keeps coming in.

I wondered if anyone has come across this problem before and if they have any ideas about the location of the water entry so I can narrow if down a bit at least.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

tbh - that's a warranty job -I wouldn't touch it -straight back to the dealer with that one........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

2 year warranty I'm told. Car registered in Jan 05.

Believe me if it were under warranty...................!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

You could try ringing VAG customer service as thats not something that could possibly be your fault, unless the car has been crashed or previously repaired for damaged by a non authorised dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think this is a common enough problem in VWs. Sometimes it can be caused by the air conditioning system afaik but I don't think a 05 Bettle softop has air con.

Maybe you might find an answer on a VAG forum.

PS. I would not hold my breath waiting for VW customer service to do anything. They are almost a contradiction in terms imo. Once it is outside of warranty they will most likely not want to know about it.

Thanks for the replies guys,

I hear what you say about the aircon and you're right, this car doesn't have it.

Water ingress is a significant problem in the beetle. I have trawled various VW forums and see some solutions related to drainage of sunroofs (which this obviously doesn't have) but I will be checking for drains from the front of the softtop later on.

I'll come back with the solution if I find one. Looking dodgy at this stage. I've had most of it apart and spent about 8 hours on it so far!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Put the roof up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think this is a common enough problem in VWs. Sometimes it can be caused by the air conditioning system afaik but I don't think a 05 Bettle softop has air con.

On a similar note, incorrectly fitting the pollen filter and pollen filter cover is the most common cause of leaks in Passats, Golfs & Boras. I don't actually know if the Beetle has it's pollen filter located in the engine bay just in front of the windscreen on the left, but if it does it's the first thing to check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

testicle wrote: »
    Put the roof up.

LOL, I think it's safe to say that with the roof down, the source of the aqueous solution would be entirely obvious........:rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Are you sure it doesnt come with a 3 year warranty? 2 years on a €30k car seems a bit stingy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

mvpr wrote: »
    Are you sure it doesnt come with a 3 year warranty? 2 years on a €30k car seems a bit stingy...

All VWs come with a 2 year unlimited warranty (which is stingy compared to some other manufacturers)

• Advertisement

crosstownk wrote: »
    On a similar note, incorrectly fitting the pollen filter and pollen filter cover is the most common cause of leaks in Passats, Golfs & Boras. I don't actually know if the Beetle has it's pollen filter located in the engine bay just in front of the windscreen on the left, but if it does it's the first thing to check.

The water is getting into the left pillar and coming out through holes at the bottom of it. For the life of me I can see how.

It's either the seals that are faulty and letting the water in or else there is some ingress around the windscreen, which I think is least likely.

Anyway, I've given up after spending three nights trying (or should that be "three trying nights"!!) so it's off with my mate to VW.

First time ever I've been beaten by the likes of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tl2098

Avns1s wrote: »
    The water is getting into the left pillar and coming out through holes at the bottom of it. For the life of me I can see how.

It's either the seals that are faulty and letting the water in or else there is some ingress around the windscreen, which I think is least likely.

Anyway, I've given up after spending three nights trying (or should that be "three trying nights"!!) so it's off with my mate to VW.

First time ever I've been beaten by the likes of this.

My daughter's 04 Beetle soft top has exactly this problem. There are 2 drains from the corner of the roof at the top corner of the windscreen. They run down the rubber sealing strips on the body. I have just tried rodding them with a length of net curtain rod - you know - the steel spring with a PVC cover. A load of muck came out the bottom. Whether this has fixed it or not the next downpour will prove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

The 01-05 passats done this it is to do with a drain hole getting blocked that is under the battery. I know that nogoodnamesleft knows more about this than me if he is on he will tell you. If you take out the battery you may see a blocked drain hole;)

Advertisement