Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

10K to spend with trade in

Options
  • 28-11-2007 12:53pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks im giving myself a max of 10k to change my current car and wondering what i can expect.

Im looking to change my 03 VW Passat TDI 130bhp with 75k on the clock,how much can i expect for it in a trade in or possibly a private sale?
    Im thinking of going with an Avensis,new corolla or something similar.
    What year depends on whether i can keep within 10k or not.
    Any tips on what i should go for?

pic of passat here
    imag0684smalled7.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

55 views no response :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Give it a while - we're not your dedicated customer support team you know.

Your passat looks good and im sure somebody will snap it up considering that mileage (assuming it has a full history)

You passat seems fairly decent, if you are trading just for a newer year im sure you would be more dissapointed with the likes of an avensis ... but then again im no diesel expert

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Before deciding what car you can get must obviously figure out how much you can get for your own!!

The trade in market at the moment is not good so dont think you will get as much as you may think. Private sale may be the best plan. Check out www.carzone.ie and see what price you could expect to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Looks like the driver door was painted once upon a time?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If looking at an Avensis diesel then try and get the 2006 facelifted model. It has a newer 125bhp 2.0 litre D-4D engine with a 6 speed gear box. It is more refined, quieter and economical than the old 116bhp unit it replaced. To be honest I think you will be hard pushed though to find one that will cost €10k plus a 03 Passat though. Have a look at the Mazda 6 or Ford Mondeo2.0 diesel too.

BTW is your Passat an Irish car or UK import? Does it have a FVWSH? These will determin it's value.

• Advertisement

Thanks folks
    No wasnt painted as far as i know,i have it little over 2 years.
    Its a UK import.
    Nope not a full SH but i got it serviced regularly not that thats any use.
    Very nice car,very quick and rock solid on the road,just would like a newer car :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Efioanaes wrote: »
    Thanks folks
    No wasnt painted as far as i know,i have it little over 2 years.
    Its a UK import.
    Nope not a full SH but i got it serviced regularly not that thats any use.
    Very nice car,very quick and rock solid on the road,just would like a newer car :)

Id say thats a problem right there. Service history is not so much as to show that the car has been well maintained as it is to justify and prove genuine mileage.

Im not saying its clocked but a TDI from the uk thats 5years old with 75000miles but nothing to back that up would be a major drawback so that will definitely have an adverse effect on selling price.

On a sidenote the door does look like it has been painted.

Cheers guys,i take your points,got an offer of 12k from toyota dealer this evening off a new corolla or avensis.
    The door must be just the pic cos i genuinely never noticed it nor did the toyota dealer this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

C_Breeze wrote: »
    Im not saying its clocked but a TDI from the uk thats 5years old with 75000miles but nothing to back that up would be a major drawback

Easy way to find out: do a HPI check on it. Nobody in their right mind will buy this car without doing this. Oops - most people have never heard about a HPI check :eek:

Or know how to establish the car isn't originally Irish for that matter

Cheers guys,i take your points,got an offer of 12k from toyota dealer this evening off a new corolla or avensis

That's not a bad deal

Out of interest - did the dealer do a HPI check on the car or did you not ask him?

• Advertisement

HPI check?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote: »
    That's not a bad deal

Out of interest - did the dealer do a HPI check on the car or did you not ask him?

If the dealer was not aware it was a UK import then they probably would only do an Irish HPI check which only checks for outstanding finance afaik.

bazz26 wrote: »
    If the dealer was not aware it was a UK import

Good point - he probably wouldn't have seen the VLC at that stage. I wonder is there any other way in finding out it was a UK import. Anybody in the trade know? Maybe I'll start a new thread on this
    HPI check?

Google's your friend, you lazy dude :p

HPI Check

Advertisement