Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Montenegro the bigger threat then Bulgaria in our group?

• 28-11-2007 1:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Ive a sneeking suspicion about these guys. They are not a 6th seed team (and are only rated there because the country has only come into existence really)and those who watched the CL last night will will seen a couple of them in action......cant remember the names but one scored a good goal against Barca I think. Did'nt our under 21 side get beaten by Montenegro a couple of weeks back?

With Bulgaria we have some idea of what to expect but with Montenergro we dont know. They could, in fact, be worthy 3rd seeders!? Im more worried about them then Bulgaria tbh.

Anyone have any idea how good they are or what to expect?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Hungary 2-1
    Japan 0-2
    Colombia 0-1
    Slovenia 1-1
    Sweden 1-2
    Estonia 1-0

So no, no they shouldn't be any more of a threat than any other minnow.

I would hope we don't play them first though - as they'll be pumped up for their first ever competition as a nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If they are better than the Faroes, they represent a huge threat to us (the Faroes being an amber on the threat scale).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

It's a pretty small country, population is only about 3/4 million or so. Saying that the teams from the former Yugoslavia are unlikely to be a total pushover. So I'd agree that they are probably better than a 6th seed team but I think it's highly unlikely that they will be the same sort of threat as Bulgaria to us, possibly the same sort of threat as Georgia and even Cyprus though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jArgHA

astrofool wrote: »
    If they are better than the Faroes, they represent a huge threat to us (the Faroes being an amber on the threat scale).

hehe :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

darkman2 wrote: »
    and those who watched the CL last night will will seen a couple of them in action......cant remember the names but one scored a good goal against Barca I think.
    Don't think so.

You might mean Vucinic. He scored twice for Roma last night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

We couldnt have got a worse team. They are the only 6th seeders who can go abroad and win a match. Estonia really should be a bit better given they have more than a million people, but i saw them play England, they are awful. Not sure they got a decent attack going the whole game.

Hungary 2-1
    Japan 0-2
    Colombia 0-1
    Slovenia 1-1
    Sweden 1-2
    Estonia 1-0

Who scored which in these? And its certainly not the goalfest most countries have when playing the 6th seeds.

Im normally optimistic but there isnt a hope in hell we will even get a play off without some kind of miracle. In fact I think this campaign will maul our seeding down a place or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I agree.

Montenegro will not be the pushovers that most people are expecting them to be. They are easily the most dangerous 6th seeded opponents that we would could have possibly drawn. All of the other 6th seeded teams were virtually 6 point bankers for us.

They have some decent players like Mirko Vučinić from Roma (scored 4 goals in 4 games for his country already), Branko Bošković (ex-PSG midfielder now with Rapid Vienna) & 6'4 Sporting Lisbon striker Milan Purović.

The away game against them will be interesting, I doubt may team’s bar Italy will come away from Podgorica/Cetinje will all 3 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Raekwon wrote: »
    All of the other 6th seeded teams were virtually 6 point bankers for us.

There is no such thing any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Although I don't want to underestimate any team, if we can't get 6 points from the likes of Montenegro we might as well forget about qualifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

they arent that great lads, look at their squad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montenegro_national_football_team

they have a few good players, but with a good manager, we should beat them

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Although I don't want to underestimate any team, if we can't get 6 points from the likes of Montenegro we might as well forget about qualifying.

Agree.

With Ireland all our opponents need to do, based on recent evidence, is have an imtimidating away atmosphere and below average players and then we are in trouble. i.e Cyprus....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

luckylucky wrote: »
    It's a pretty small country, population is only about 3/4 million or so. Saying that the teams from the former Yugoslavia are unlikely to be a total pushover. So I'd agree that they are probably better than a 6th seed team but I think it's highly unlikely that they will be the same sort of threat as Bulgaria to us, possibly the same sort of threat as Georgia and even Cyprus though.

They have a population of under 700,000. That other small country with 4 million is called Ireland! ;)

They're an unknown quantity and as such, Ireland will need to be very wary of them. With proper preparation we should have more than enough to get 6 points from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

I wouldn't be too confident about getting the 3 points in the away fixture anyways. 6 point bankers they certainly are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

These days it would seem everyone is a threat to oirland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

no surprise really, when we just about beat San Marino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

I agree. Think we should be very wary of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

One of their young players was linked to Man Utd last month for £7 million and they have 2 players playing for Sporting Lisbon (one of them was playing against Man Utd on Tuesday).

Playing away to them aint going to be easy at all

edit:

This guy was linked with Man Utd

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevan_Joveti%C4%87

Theres no comparison between these and the usual minnows. Ireland simply have no easy team like they usually have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Theres no comparison between these and the usual minnows. Ireland simply have no easy team like they usually have.

Ireland are minnows.

Every team in the group has an easy time, it's Ireland.

Lads, we could barely beat San Marino, got hammered by Cyprus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Des is right. We've regressed to pre-Charlton days again. We're the six point banker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

We're the six point banker.
    Really? So which team in our last qualifiers got 6 points off us? And the one before that?

We've certainly edged towards being minnows again but you're just talking nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Des is right. We've regressed to pre-Charlton days again. We're the six point banker.

What?

If Germany failed to beat San Marino convincingly the managers head would be called for. Ditto Czechs. There was no calls when they got by on 1-0 wins or drew with the Irish. Compare that to the scandal when the Czechs either drew or narrowly beat the Cypriots (cant recall which), it caused uproar.

Some people are being overly negative tbh. We are seeded 3rd of a possible sixth, could be worse (though tbh I dread to think of where we might end up after the 2010 qualifiers. Montenegro is going to be a curse, of course we had to have the misfortune of test driving them)

Advertisement