Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BT Voyager problems..n00b needs help

• 28-11-2007 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks

I have a BT voyager wireless router/modem thing at home and everything was fine (bar the nieghbours hacking/stealing our broadband) until a few days ago.

There is an xbox 360 connected via ethernet and about 3 laptops via wireless. One compaq running XP home I think, and 2 dell ones, one running Vista basic and the other XP pro.

Recently (in the last 4 or 5 days) if I am playing away on the 360 and anyone turns on a laptop/computer in the house and trys to connect to the network the whole netwrok crashes. I have to turn the router on and off to get the 360 working again.

When I do a connection test with my 360 (after a crash but before a router re-start) I pass the IP address test but fail the DNS test.

So I did a little more investigation and it turns out if any of the computers now try to connect to the network it just stops working, even if no-one is using the 360?

Anyone have any ideas what the hell is going on? It has been working fine for ages (6-7 months)

Sorry if I have left out some details but I will try and answer all your questions to help sort this out

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Set static ips.

Try using an Open DNS server. I don't have my own 360 hooked up to my Voyager yet so hope I won't have probs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

kaimera wrote: »
    Set static ips.

Would it suddenly stop working due to this?
    Try using an Open DNS server. I don't have my own 360 hooked up to my Voyager yet so hope I won't have probs.

You shouldn't as mine was fine for ages until a few days ago

It seems weird that the wifi would cause the network to crash; then again we had problems with wifi in our old place when copying files over it.

Which model voyager is it btw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

kaimera wrote: »
    Which model voyager is it btw?

Don't know off the top of my head unfortunately, I will have to check it when I go home.

Having never set static IP addresses before, any guide how to do it or what's involved? I'm sure i'd get through it but some prior advice would probably speed me up

I suppose there's some work to be done on the router/modem and the computers themselves

tools-> internet options -> connections -> then enter an IP

the router/modem stuff is probably different for every router so I probably disable DHCP and enter the IP adresses that can access the router and make sure they match the ones I give the PCs

That sound about right?

Yea pretty much; check in the voyager what the DHCP range is, then set an ip on each laptop and your 360 to one thats outside that range. You don't necessarily have to disable DHCP but maybe change the range so you can add static IPs.

eg, DHCP range 192.168.1.2 - x.x.x.50 then laptops can be .51, .52, .53 and xbox .54.

Keep a laptop on DHCP so you can copy the default gateway IP and the DNS server IP from that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement