Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossfire + USB + HDR = Lock up/Freeze

Options
  • 28-11-2007 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

I have just built a new gaming pc consisting of the following:-
    MSI K9A Platinum
    AMD AthlonX2 6000+
    4GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 800mhz CL5-6-6-18 (2x2GB)
    2 x HIS HD 2900XT 512mb DDR3 in Crossfire mode.
    OCZ Technology 750W Crossfire certified PSU. C/W 2 x 8pin & 2 x 6pin connectors. Model S75CF-UK
    Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit.
    All latest Bios and drivers installed and all windows updates.
    Catalyst Drivers v7.11

I have been having trouble with certain games for a couple of weeks now. I would be playing away for a few minutes when the pc would just completely freeze. I have to press the reset button to reboot. The pc reboots no problem and there are no entries in the event log except “ The last shutdown was unexpected”
    I’ve done a lot of searching on these and other forums about this problem and have tried a number of different suggestions including increasing voltages to RAM/Chipset, disabled devices like the soundcard. I even thought it was an overheating issue so I installed a watercooling setup for the graphic cards and northbridge. Temperatures are now about 45/50c under load. Nothing has seemed to work.
    What I have seemed to figure out is that the problem is related to Crossfire, USB and HDR. If either of these are disabled then everything seems fine.
    I noticed that when running 3Dmark06 the PC would only crash when it got to the HDR tests (The flying ship & the snowy one) and the only games that caused the problem were HDR games (HL2 Ep 1 & 2 etc) If HDR was disable in these games it ran fine.
    Also if I disabled crossfire mode and ran with just one card all was fine even with HDR enabled. I’ve tried both cards and they run fine on their own. If I disable USB in the bios I can run the tests and games with crossfire and HDR enabled, but this is a bit of a pain considering I use a Bluetooth keyboard & mouse with a usb Bluetooth dongle.
    Has anybody got anymore ideas or suggestions on this problem?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers.

Advertisement