Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bearded Dragon-crickets advise!!

• 28-11-2007 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭

Hey all.
    First of all, a big thanks to jimkel for that beardie care sheet, has helped me loads.

Anyway how do you guys keep your crickets?
    Do you just leave them in the container you get from the pet shop or do you have a tank for them and do you feed them, i threw in some orange segments and veg, is that alright? Its just kinda annoying trying to shake them out because all the sawdust and cricket droppings fall out aswell and when i try to just pick them out they jump everywhere, Just wondering is there an easier way.

I think it was jimkel that was saying that he uses a seperate area for feeding, what way does this work? Do you just put some crickets in a tank and put in the beardies untill they stop eating?

And finally, how long do crickets live for because one little escapee has found himself a home somewhere in my kitchen and is driving me mad tweeting constantly and i cant find him, living in and apartment so its a kitchen come dining room job so trying to relax and watch tv is a nightmare, its worse then the dripping tap torture.

Sorry for all the q's, just wanna find out whats the best way to rare my new buddies.
    Thanks, Vinnie.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Mine dont usually last long enough to be oput in a separate feeding are.Once the tub is emptied into the Bds viv those crix are gone in a feeding frenzy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Mine dont usually last long enough to be oput in a separate feeding are.Once the tub is emptied into the Bds viv those crix are gone in a feeding frenzy.

I only have mine 2 days so they might just have to settle in a bit before they start eating like that, i hope they do anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

ALright Vinnie, Your very welcome for the advise man.

I feed my Beardies in the Viv, I keep the crickets in the container they were bought in, If you give the container a hefty shake and then tilt it towards one corner and all the crickets fall down there, then ya just lift the corner of the lid slowly and they will fall into your feedeing container, such as a beaker. Remember only dust crickets once every second feeding.

Even after moving home they should eat heartily, they are young beardies afterall and all they care about right now is eationg insects. When you have your crickets ready to go in a container, dont add them all at once to the viv, give him 2 or so, let him eat them, and add another 2, i always throw an extra few in at the end to encourage hunting as its metally stimulating for them.

They escapees will die pretty quickly if you let the house get cold enough for a few hours. Maybe leave your kitchen window open all night. And do ya know you can buy silent crickets?

As for feeding the crickets, dark green leafy veg is best, I recoommend Bug grub aswell, its nutritionly excellent. feed the crickets what you want the beardies to be eating, but not too much, you dont want them outgrowing the beardies mouth size over the week.Water is the main thing to keep crickets alive, a peice of potatoe in the container does a good job of this.

When feeding in the morning, let the beardy bask in the spotlight for around an hour first, otherwise he will be too cold to eat or digest properly. Same at night they last feeding should be a maximum of 2 hours before lights out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭yawn

the gf bought a kricket keeper from the local pet store. crickets hide in the dark tubes which you slide out of the keeper and shake into the viv. very handy place to store the crickets if you don't wish to keep them in the flimsy plastic container they come in.

feed my beardies on locusts atm.

yawn wrote: »
    the gf bought a kricket keeper from the local pet store. crickets hide in the dark tubes which you slide out of the keeper and shake into the viv. very handy place to store the crickets if you don't wish to keep them in the flimsy plastic container they come in.

feed my beardies on locusts atm.

Are they the cheap looking plastic tank type things with 2 black tubes entering in the sides at an angle(crap discription i know), i seen them the last day in wackers and was wondering what te hell they were, i might get one off them and see what there like,

Thanks for the help guys.

• Advertisement

Hey guys,
    I got one of those kricket keepers, there very good and so easy to feed with it, you can even dust the cricks in the tubes.
    Thought i might as well throw up a pic of the little ones, thinking of calling them AC and DC, there mother was a sandfire and a good colour has been passed on to them, moreso on the male, you cant really see it in this pic though. The female is the one on the left.
    Vinnie.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭hamnegg

Any idea where you can get the blasted crickets! Place i normally go to got no delivery this week. I'm living in Maynooth.

Advertisement