Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you call those plastic white rectangular bollards

Options
  • 28-11-2007 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭

What do you call those white plastic rectangular cones at traffic junctions?

they're about 3' to 4' tall, with a white arrow on a blue circular background on the top and a yellow rectangle on the base.

ta much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

They're just called "illuminated bollards".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is a variant of the design based on fleixble bollard with the sign illuminated from the outside. It has the advantage of returning to the proper position after being struck / stolen by drunks.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Victor wrote: »
    It has the advantage of returning to the proper position after being ... stolen by drunks.
    Is it a homing bollard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

The bollard at the junction of Watling Street and Jervis Street in Dublin is used by cars for NCAP pedestrian protection rating! Its always broken/squashed.
    It was replaced a couple of weeks ago (yet again) and as I was leaving work that evening a car took a shortcut at the junction and drove straight over it!
    So its back to its sad squashed position again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

JackieChan wrote: »
    The bollard at the junction of Watling Street and Jervis Street

JC, is the bollard one of these:

bollard.jpg

Or these:

flecta13.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Pines

irlrobins wrote: »

Or these:

while I hesitate to poke gentle fun at such a helpful answer, the clue might be in the thread title and OPs detailed description... ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

read irlrobins' post again!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Pines

kbannon wrote: »
    read irlrobins' post again!

Oops. My bad, irlrobins!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

it took over 2 months, but I only reported the illuminated bollards near the gaff for maintenance earlier this week. It's not Public Lighting that look after them, it's Traffic....fyi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

irlrobins wrote: »

bollard.jpg

Or these:

flecta13.jpg

Ofc I meant the junction of Watling Street and James Street!

It should look like the first but spends most time squashed or missing.
    A new one has been placed there again this week.Lets see how long this one lasts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Cheers, just wondering. The latter ones are designed to be run over. Of course they'll still make a mess of your bodywork... ;)

Advertisement