Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub Teaching

Options
  • 28-11-2007 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭

I was looking for a little advice.

I am currently doing a Master's Degree course (non-teaching or teaching subject related) and will be finished in April.

I have some interest in teaching, an interest which I thought had gone away but hasn't. My primary degree subjects are core secondary curriculum subjects - Irish/English with a fair chunk of history thrown in - though I would not necessarily rule out Primary Teaching by any means.

I had it in mind to look for some substitute work at the end of April just to stick a toe in the water for a month or two to see how I would do.

Would it be a reasonable approach to send a CV around to all the local schools and explain my interest in getting some experience or what is the best approach? Would it be better to call in person, just that I don't want to appear pushy. But I don't necessarily want my CV to be chucked in a huge pile considering at that stage there would not be much time left in the school year anyway. Or is there simply a system whereby qualified teachers will inevitably get first call or will living in the vicinity and being available at short notice be a help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Rosita wrote: »
    I was looking for a little advice.

I am currently doing a Master's Degree course (non-teaching or teaching subject related) and will be finished in April.

I have some interest in teaching, an interest which I thought had gone away but hasn't. My primary degree subjects are core secondary curriculum subjects - Irish/English with a fair chunk of history thrown in - though I would not necessarily rule out Primary Teaching by any means.

I had it in mind to look for some substitute work at the end of April just to stick a toe in the water for a month or two to see how I would do.

Would it be a reasonable approach to send a CV around to all the local schools and explain my interest in getting some experience or what is the best approach? Would it be better to call in person, just that I don't want to appear pushy. But I don't necessarily want my CV to be chucked in a huge pile considering at that stage there would not be much time left in the school year anyway. Or is there simply a system whereby qualified teachers will inevitably get first call or will living in the vicinity and being available at short notice be a help?

Its absolutely better to call in personally. Try where possible to make a direct 5 minute appointment with the principal. Lots of secretaries will try and just take it from you but its much better if you can meet the person who sorts the sub cover (principal or deputy principal) in person.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Rosita wrote: »
    will living in the vicinity and being available at short notice be a help?

It certainly is where I work.
    I am in charge of deputy classes one day a week and if I have someone I know is reliable and can get in at short notice for the first class of the day, I'll be calling on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

Thanks very much for the replies. I will bear the advice in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 carmel kenny

I am sub teaching since september off for christmas holidays did not get paid for this, can I get social welfare for these two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 carmel kenny

can i get social welfare for holiday when sub teaching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

If you’re anywhere near Dublin, and have Irish, you’ll walk into loads of subbing and supervision in the Gaelcholáistí. Very hard to get subs who can speak Irish in Dublin.

You will need to be Garda vetted though, which can take a while, so you should get on that ASAP (regardless of where you’re looking for subbing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

OP long gone RJ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

can i get social welfare for holiday when sub teaching

Yes you need to go to your social welfare office and fill in the forms and meet the criteria. If you backdate your claim to when you started working if approved you will get welfare for incomplete weeks of work and holidays etc.
    Job seekers allowance i think is the right channel to apply under.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

OP long gone RJ
    So they are. Oops.

Advertisement