Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sockets not working

Options
  • 28-11-2007 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

had the microwave on then all the sockets went dead. had a look at the fuse box and its on 2 level with main fuseswitch and 4 fuses on one level - all ok and working - then above that is a RCD and 3 fuses (sockets) and all sockets off this are not working. When I push the RCD lever nothin happens (doesnt stick/click into place) its in neutral position and is dead when you push up or down.

I have been told I need to switch off the remaining ordinary fuses apart from the main fuseswitch to the off position then when I put the trip Switch for the RCD switch to the on position it will stick (if you know what I mean) Anyhow I will try this when I get home. Is this correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The RCD probably has a reset button that you need to press before it will "re-arm"
    Assuming you have fixed the problem with the microwave?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, as Greebo pointed out, you need to eirther rectify the issue which cause the MCB's to trip or disconnect all devices on that ring first.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

just to throw this is, OP this is a proven method and it was good advice you were given, by knocking everything off then turning the reset RCD on, by the process of elimination a one by one switch on of MCBS will isolate the dodgy circuit, should give you sockets in the rest of the house.
    Your lights should all work regardless of the RCD

Yeah, just to clarify.
    If a normal trip switch trips you can just reset it (tripped due to too much load) but if your RCD trips it means that there is current going somewhere it shouldnt (cut wire, exposed wire, etc) basically its earthing on someone/thing.
    Until you fix this (or remove it from the system) everytime you try to rearm it it will still detect the problem and immediately trip.

Stoner wrote: »
    just to throw this is, OP this is a proven method and it was good advice you were given, by knocking everything off then turning the reset RCD on, by the process of elimination a one by one switch on of MCBS will isolate the dodgy circuit, should give you sockets in the rest of the house.
    Your lights should all work regardless of the RCD

yeah its deffo a good way of determining the problem, I just got the impression from the OP that they believed this was a technique for getting the RCD to stick (rather than finding and fixing/isolating the problem)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭jdpl28

I had a strange issue earlier with mine that this technique wouldn't work on. My immersion was dodgy with the nutural touching the earth wire, so any current going through the RCD would trip it, even if the MBC of the immersion wasn't on. Problem was the current from the other circuit was returning back to the fuseboard where all nuturals were all connected together, running back to the immersion and back to earth from there - and tripping the RCD. Took ages to figure out what was happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

thanks guys. WhenI switched all the fuses to off and then the RCD switch worked (push it down and up the colour indicator changed).this didnt happen when any of the fuses were "on". Anyhow everything came back on.

Advertisement