Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My neighbour leaves her baby outside!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I think if you read all the way to the end of the original post, you will find that the OP did say the person was "non-irish".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

I swear to you this is the only place I posted about this! Why would I bother make this up or whatever?! Could you back this up with a link? I'm actualy quite interested to see.

I mentioned that the neighbour was non Irish because I thought that there could be a valid cultural reason for her doing this. That does seem to be the case, and because of the possible language barrier.

The Garda said he would just go down for a friendly chat so it wasent like anyone went overboard or anything. I don't know if she is still doing it, the last few mornings I've been leaving the house earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

It is healthy to leave a baby, well wrapped up outside for a period of time, in all weather except fog and mist. It helps to build their immune systems. Or at least it's what I've been told and I've seen done for many years. Keeping them indoors in the heat all the time is really bad for them. However she should always be able to see the baby. Have a chat with the baby nurse or indeed the lady herself, in a non judgemental way as no parent likes to be critisised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Many moons ago when I was a baby I was put in my pram and then put outside the back door.

This was in the countryside and I was in view at all times. The only thing about it that freeked out my mother was when I started crying and she saw a hen in the pram and it pecking at me. :D

I don't have a problem with a baby in it's pram or buggy and it wrapped up and outside but my problem would be the parent indoors and not with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

So what was the out come?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Surely, if it's not too cold for the baby to be left outside, it coudlnt be too cold for the mother to leave the door opened to keep and eye/ear out for the baby?!?

I think it's probably a good idea to let the baby get some fresh air in this manner and would be as good as a long walk for the baby almost, probably gives mum a chance to do some housework or something also, but she should be at least opening her curtains/windows/door and leaving them opened while this little creature is outside. :(

*Page* wrote: »
    So what was the out come?
    imred wrote: »
    The decision has been made for me. My flatmate just text me there to tell me that she saw the baby outside again. The garda station was on her way so she dropped in and mentioned it to a garda. He seemed pretty shocked and promised to call down later to see what the story is.

I havent seen it outside since.

l3LoWnA wrote: »
    Surely, if it's not too cold for the baby to be left outside, it coudlnt be too cold for the mother to leave the door opened to keep and eye/ear out for the baby?!?

That was my problem with the whole situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Babies need fresh air, I put my little boy out the back in his pram for an hour or so if I can't get out for a walk in the morning, but he's always very well wrapped up and always in sight.

The main problem I would have here is that the area the baby is being left is to easily accessed and the mother cant see the baby at all times. I cant believe she even closes the curtains!

Scare stories or not, it's not worth the risk in this day and age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

I think it's probably a good idea to let the baby get some fresh air in this manner and would be as good as a long walk for the baby almost, probably gives mum a chance to do some housework or something also, but she should be at least opening her curtains/windows/door and leaving them opened while this little creature is outside. :(

The baby's wrapped up and ready for the elements, same as the mother would be if she were out walking with him/her. It's a bit much to expect a door to be left open during the winter though. I mean, would you expect the mother to do her housework wearing a coat or stick the heat on for an extra three hours a day to replace the heat lost through the open door??? That wouldn't be very green or efficient.

She should leave the curtains open though and check on him all the time. I'd also prefer if the child was on a balcony or in an enclosed rear-garden. It does sound risky leaving a child in a pram where anyone can be walking in and out, whether or not you can see them out the window and ar checking them.

Anyway, looks like the guards did have a chat with the woman. I hope she brings that baby forr a good walk every day and that the only fresh air the child used to get hasn't been eliminated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

dame wrote: »
    The baby's wrapped up and ready for the elements, same as the mother would be if she were out walking with him/her. It's a bit much to expect a door to be left open during the winter though. I mean, would you expect the mother to do her housework wearing a coat or stick the heat on for an extra three hours a day to replace the heat lost through the open door??? That wouldn't be very green or efficient.

For gods sake!! Green, efficient???? It wouldn't be very efficient mothering if you had your baby left outside with the door closed whilst you sat on your ar$e inside and your baby was snatched or a bird shat in it's eye/cat jumped into pram and it was screaming its poor little lungs out, now would it? If it's not too cold for the baby to be lying there, in a pram, without physical activity to keep him/her warm (wrapped up or not), surely if the mother is keeping herself busy and on the go with housework, it shouldn't be too cold for her if the door is left open!!!

It's ridiculous! No offence, OP, but you could be any sort of weirdo living next door, passing that pram and knowing there's noody keeping an eye out for the contents!

A totally selfish, inconsiderate & stupid act in my opinion. If you have a private secure dwelling or live in the countryside where you'd hear a car pulling up or footsteps on your drive-way, or any noise outside including the baby, fair enough (although, closing your baby out regardless, actually seems quite a cold act to me), but in a place where there are other occupants with access, who are strangers, no way!!

I still have baby monitor switched on at night (I wouldn't hear her from my bedroom, opposite ends of house) and my daughter in 3.5. I'd never forgive myself if something happened her during the night (choking/fall out of bed etc) and I wasn't doing my best to listen out for her! I'm not over-protective, I just care about the little people :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

For gods sake!! Green, efficient???? It wouldn't be very efficient mothering if you had your baby left outside with the door closed whilst you sat on your ar$e inside and your baby was snatched or a bird shat in it's eye/cat jumped into pram and it was screaming its poor little lungs out, now would it? If it's not too cold for the baby to be lying there, in a pram, without physical activity to keep him/her warm (wrapped up or not), surely if the mother is keeping herself busy and on the go with housework, it shouldn't be too cold for her if the door is left open!!!

It's ridiculous! No offence, OP, but you could be any sort of weirdo living next door, passing that pram and knowing there's noody keeping an eye out for the contents!

A totally selfish, inconsiderate & stupid act in my opinion. If you have a private secure dwelling or live in the countryside where you'd hear a car pulling up or footsteps on your drive-way, or any noise outside including the baby, fair enough (although, closing your baby out regardless, actually seems quite a cold act to me), but in a place where there are other occupants with access, who are strangers, no way!!

I still have baby monitor switched on at night (I wouldn't hear her from my bedroom, opposite ends of house) and my daughter in 3.5. I'd never forgive myself if something happened her during the night (choking/fall out of bed etc) and I wasn't doing my best to listen out for her! I'm not over-protective, I just care about the little people :)

It wouldn't be very efficient mothering to keep the child indoors all the time either (as in with no walks). For all we know the mother might be on crutches or in a wheelchair and therefore unable to take the child out for a walk. It would also be unhealthy and costly to have the heat pumping out to fill an apartment that has it's door left wide open. It would be inefficient "mothering" to spend double the cost of your heating bill for the sake of leaving a door open, rather than bringing the child out for a walk (or watching through a slightly opened window (ventilation and to hear the child) with the curtains open). It would be more "efficient mothering" to not overheat the house, to make sure yourself and the child did get out for some fresh air every day if possible and to use your money for other things (like possibly getting somehwere to live that has a private secure garden or balcony). That's just my opinion. Mind you, leaving a baby outside in a publicly-accessible area whilst having the curtains and windows closed was dangerous and something I'd personally never do.

dame wrote: »
    For all we know the mother might be on crutches or in a wheelchair and therefore unable to take the child out for a walk. QUOTE]

She's perfectly healthy looking.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I've never understood baby monitors. We didn't use them and never had any problem with hearing the boys if they were in trouble. Do you wake up every time Junior tosses, turns, grumbles, grunts, snorts and the other noise kids make in their sleep ?

If they fall out of bed you'll hear the thud (sometimes followed by the yells) without a monitor ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Gabsdot

My sister lives in Denmark and this babies are put outside to sleep all the time there. Her son's childminder used to leave the children in their prams under a big tree in the front garden for their naps. The children are warmly wrapped up and usually have a hot water bottle.
    This mother probably thinks we're strange for keeping our babies in all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

God,how times change.

My mother used to walk up the high street each morning to do the daily shopping ( before big supermkts etc ).

She used to leave me, and my siblings , in the pram outside the shop .

She recalls the time my father took us up the road shopping , came back with no pram, realised he had forgotten us ........

Now would I do this with my own child, no I don't think so. Are things really that much more dangerous now ? No I think the perception of danger is much higher. Also these were the days of large ' sprung /coachbuilt ' prams , so we were tucked up in a mobile bed, unlike the modern buggie type things . ( although you try getting a pram in a car :) )

My mother has also told me she used to leave my younger brother at the end of the garden ( in his pram ) because he cried so much it drove her mad ... now thats a discussion ( my brother is a reasonably well balanced adult now , all be it for an Arsenal supporter ). I am also reasonably sure she used to leave us outside the front door of our house in the pram.

Now this was the 1960's

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Gabsdot wrote: »
    My sister lives in Denmark and this babies are put outside to sleep all the time there. Her son's childminder used to leave the children in their prams under a big tree in the front garden for their naps. The children are warmly wrapped up and usually have a hot water bottle.
    This mother probably thinks we're strange for keeping our babies in all the time.

My sister does this for her kids in Sweden, even in winter. Never a bother and the kids are all healthy and used to playing/being outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

my advice ring your Public health nurse.Regurdless of nationality.Her child is at risk.
    Jamie Bulger ,M mcCann, You and I do not want another name on the list of kids taken .
    Its a phone call. Dont give your name if you dont want to.
    be brave , its not a easy phone call. you wont regreat making it buyt you may regreat not making it.
    HTH,
    CATHY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

cathy01 wrote: »
    my advice ring your Public health nurse.Regurdless of nationality.Her child is at risk.
    Jamie Bulger ,M mcCann, You and I do not want another name on the list of kids taken .
    Its a phone call. Dont give your name if you dont want to.
    be brave , its not a easy phone call. you wont regreat making it buyt you may regreat not making it.
    HTH,
    CATHY

I'm gonna atack that post, but not the poster.

Jamie Bulger was in a shopping centre.

Mad' McCann was from an apartment at night.

So very different. Stop being so paranoid, if people reported every single minor potential risk, children would be kept indoors chained to their parents til 18.
    Next time it happens call social services and let them deal with it. Or else call them now and let them give her a warning. Someone steals that baby you wlll all be suspects.

What?! You are worried that if the child is kidnapped, the neighbours could be suspects? Nice priorities.

What we have here is a nosey person, who isn't happy with how a child is reared. I don't know if it's right or wrong, but the same was done to me, out the back garden on a big baby elastic chair thing. I'm certainly fairly good at putting up with the elements.:)

Informing the Gardai was such a stupid move. You might as well have informed the Revenue Commissioners. The Gardai do not and will not deal with such an issue.

You are assuming the child is left unattended the whole time.

...Assuming!:rolleyes:

Its just not worth the Risk.Yeas Hands up.I am paranoid.But I think every parent is.Ok , I am 100 times worse.I just wouldnt take a chance.

Its only a phone call.Other thoughts.Mother could be so tired , the public health nurse will offer help and support in a non intrusive way.She can assess the situation.
    She can get the full picture .We...cant.
    Play it safe.
    cathy

• Advertisement

Public health nurse being a help...HA!!!

We had twins at the end of october who were 6 weeks premature...we are first time parents...the public health nurse has called twice since. To me that is a JOKE. We had to call her once to get her to come again as we had a couple of questions about reflux but she was useless. We haven't called again due to the rude gruff person who answers the phone who responded to my request for a visit with a very gruff "whats the problem?".

I'm sure they are not all like that and in fact I know of one who is brilliant but I know for a fact the one we have is absolutely useless. She even recommended a medicine to a neighbour of ours for her newborn which was totally unsuitable and the pharmacist flipped out when he heard who recommended it.

Off topic I know but just gets my blood boiling when I hear mention of public health nurses being a help.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,344 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

This would be so far down my list of priorities to contact the authorities , have the same people rung the authorities or had a word every time they see kid not strapped up in cars ? Mothers smoking and drinking while pregnant? Not getting their kids immunised? Complaining about fluoride in our water supply?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I am paranoid.But I think every parent is.Ok , I am 100 times worse
    I did warn you.
    Yes, I have contacted paretns when I seen the school bus fly around the cornor, with the door open and young children standing up.
    I know, dont hate me for it.I just CARE to much.:o
    Cathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Are you a parent, Cathy?

I'm not by the way, so I'm not trying to invalidate your opinion.

Yeah, mum to 3 .I admit I am paranoid.
    Hands up, totally.I am so careful.Its shameful and I am always been giving out to for been OTT with looking after them.I dont expect others to live by my rules, but.That said I would find it very difficult to turn a blind eye if I seen abuse or neglect.
    cathy

cathy01 wrote: »
    Yeah, mum to 3 .I admit I am paranoid.
    Hands up, totally.I am so careful.Its shameful and I am always been giving out to for been OTT with looking after them.I dont expect others to live by my rules, but.That said I would find it very difficult to turn a blind eye if I seen abuse or neglect.
    cathy

Neglect...abuse :eek:

erm...leaving a baby outside is not automatically abuse or neglect. In some situations I am sure it is but I am also pretty sure that in 99.9% of cases it is anything but neglect/abuse.

To call it such is a massive over statement.

In fact, when loading my twins into the car in their baby seats, I first put one in, close the car door (sometimes locking it depending where I am) , go back into the house, close the door to keep the heat in, get number 2 son, come back out and put him into car. There is a 20 second gap there where number one son is technically alone in a car. Would you be ringing the authorities if you happened to pass during this small window opportunity to report me for abuse?

Ludo, I never said that situation was either???:rolleyes:
    I just said I would find it difficult to turn a blind eye.

Sorry but when you said you find it difficult to turn a blind eye to neglect or abuse above I took it to mean you thought putting a baby outside is neglect or abuse...my mistake.

No worries,
    cathy

• Advertisement
Advertisement