Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mechanic forgot gear oil

Options
  • 28-11-2007 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭

Just had a cv joint and drive shaft changed in my car, noticed a lot of noise and problems changing gear by the time Id got home (50 miles! at 70mph) Brought it round to a mate this morning who checked the gear oil and found it practically empty. another bit of driving and I would have been looking best case at at a destroyed gear box, worst case to a crash!

My question is what kind of comeback should i be looking for, the cost of the oil I bought just now or a refund on the labour I paid him yesterday?

Still cannot beleive they never topped back up the gear oil after doing that kind of work. :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You're easily placated! My starting point would be a new gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Not placated but i dont have a fecking clue about cars or what i should be looking for here.

Also am i right in thiniing if the gearbox had have seized as i was on the motorway the front wheels could have locked and i would be in hospital now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Are you sure that he would have lost any gear oil while changing the driveshaft and CV joints? Normally you wouldn't .

If he didn't do anything to lower the oil level in the gearbox, then you cant really expect him to refill it or even check the level unless you instructed him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

no the box wouldnt cause the wheels to lock, the box would lock up and then the gears would eat the diff and all hell would break loose but you would just roll to a halt.,
    as it stands there is a strong chance that damage was done to the gearbox after running without oil in it, it might sound ok when its topped up but what will you do in 3 months if it packs in? get back in touch with the mechanic and let them know your not happy and that your gonna have a diferent mechanic look at it to assess weather the box needs changing or if it will be ok when topped up.,,.

Are you sure that he would have lost any gear oil while changing the driveshaft and CV joints? Normally you wouldn't .

If he didn't do anything to lower the oil level in the gearbox, then you cant really expect him to refill it or even check the level unless you instructed him.
    gearbox oil levels should always be checked when removing driveshafts.,;)

• Advertisement

Ok. I'll get a local garage to look at the box and check it all out and go back to him then. I want to sell the car but i dont want to give someone else the hassle of replacing it down the line, so running without gear oil has probably done damage. Can I get my mechanic to repalce the gearbox and send him the bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

pclancy wrote: »
    Ok. I'll get a local garage to look at the box and check it all out and go back to him then. I want to sell the car but i dont want to give someone else the hassle of replacing it down the line, so running without gear oil has probably done damage. Can I get my mechanic to repalce the gearbox and send him the bill?
    Replace nothing without getting agreement that they'll pay for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Bogger77 wrote: »
    Replace nothing without getting agreement that they'll pay for it!
    Was it a main dealer who serviced it? I would notify them first and then see a good solicitor if they refuse to cooperate and claim for a replacement gearbox. Driving 70miles with no oil would be the equivilant of putting thousands of miles of normal wear and tear to your gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

vtec wrote: »

gearbox oil levels should always be checked when removing driveshafts.,;)

Should, I agree. would, not likely. I wouldn't do it myself unless there was a loss of oil for some reason or the owner asked for it to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Some gearboxes are self sealing and it's safe to whip out a driveshaft.
    Others are not and will p1ss oil out at an alarming rate if a driveshaft is removed.
    Shampoo will not remove it from hair, but strong soap will.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Avns1s wrote: »
    Should, I agree. would, not likely. I wouldn't do it myself unless there was a loss of oil for some reason or the owner asked for it to be done.

thats a very naive thing to do though, even if you dont spill any its up to you to insure the customers car is fit for use after carrying out work,. if you dont spill any and just decide not to check the levels, then the customers gearbox siezes up soon after, who are they going to blame? when your the only person who touched it you will have to foot the bill as you cant prove that you didnt cause it to happen and at least if you had of checked in the first place you could have informed the owner that they need gearbox oil, therefore passing any blame onto them.,

OP, definately get in touch with the mechanic that did it and make sure he knows the situation, he could just leave you with a big bill if you get it done yourself and he'll probably ask for proof that there was a problem, at least if you tell him beforehand he can come see whats wrong for himself and not just deny there was anything wrong with your car.,

Advertisement