Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scar Tissue - Anthony Kiedis

Options
  • 28-11-2007 4:26pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have recently finished reading Scar Tissue, the autobiograhpy of Anthony Kiedie, the singer from the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

As the RHCP's provided the soundtrack to most of my growing up / teenage years and mid twenties I was interested to read up on Kiedis and the band formation, plus associated Hollywood lifestyle.

At approx 450 pages I got through the book relatively quickly, finishing it in about 5 days.

Some feelings stuck with me having read it:

1 - Man, he is one lonely dude.
    2 - The drug binges got a tad boring after his umpteenth relapse.
    3 - Also interesting to find out who "I could have lied" was written about.
    4 - His first experience with a girl :eek: I won't mention anything in case it spoils the story... but very very odd... :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

Got it as a present a number of years ago. To be honest it kind of dragged with all the drug stories. He also appeared to have fallen head over heels in love with every girl he met. It began to grate after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Ineresting to hear you guys say that. Like BossArky, I've listened to the RHCP for years and was on the verge of buying the book when I heard a radio review saying exactly what you guys have said.

On that basis, I didn't read it but would you suggest I should? Is there a lot of talk about the band and how they work together now, their song-writing processes etc or is it all about his early days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I liked it...yes it really dragged in places but overall I'm glad I read it, I like their music but I'm not a major fan of them but still really enjoyed it, gives a good insight in to what it's like to be a "rockstar". With all that money and fame and attention he's a very lonely man.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

I personally wouldn't bother. I got very little insight into the band at all. But again I'm not a huge fan. What baffled me is how the guy managed to always look fairly healthy even though he seemed to ingest any chemicals he happened to come across.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Hhaha.. yeah I thought he was some kind of health freak before reading the book.

It is a long ish book, but a quick read if you have any interest in the RHCP. The last 50 pages or so drag though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I read it about 2 years back.
    Twas a good read but I came away thinking what an absolute selfish prick he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

I read it ages ago and the things that struck me were:

1.He gets laid alot.
    2.He used to do crazy things to get drugs.
    3.Chad Smith (drummer) is hardly mentioned
    4.He had an affair with a well known Irish woman.

I have to say that I did enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

I got his autograph in town many years ago outside the Westbury.
    What a weird guy , band weren't too impressed when i ran up to them and asked could i get his autograph.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

I enjoyed the book. Will agree that his first experiences with a girl are weird. I feel bad for him, he's lonely, and stuff. THe way it wnded made me cry a little. I'm a bit emotional though

Advertisement