Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Struggling with being veggie right now! Any advice?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭one-angry-dwarf

well, it might be a bit too late already! but to the OP, do a quick google video search for 'earthlings'. that should set you veggie again in no time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

If you are craving meat, is there a possibility that you are lacking in minerals/vitamins? eg iron?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

If you suddenly make a big change to your diet it might take your body a while to get used to it.

It's hard to tell sometimes if a craving is just due to addiction or if you really feel you would be better off with whatever it is you are obsessing about :D

You could try some fake meat type thingys to see if it's just the taste/texture of meat that you miss.. If you're worried about iron, take a supplement and/or just include more pulses/green veg/breakfast cereal in your diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

Nature Boy wrote: »
    quorn rashers (can't seem to get them in ireland though),

got quorn rashers in superquinn knocklyon a couple of weeks ago, fairly tasty i thought, they also had the quorn roast which i like. i'd seen neither of these recently anywhere else (iceland were the only ones who carried the roast afaik).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

shakenbake wrote: »
    I feel like I'm fading a bit here. The temptation to eat meat is seriously strong and I don't want to eat my relatively new found morals away.

Has anyone been in the same situation? Offer any advice?

A lot of times an urge for a particular type of food is your body telling you it needs a certain type of nutrition - are you sure you are eating a pretty balanced veggie diet?

Outside that, I think it's the same thing anyone on any sort of 'diet', anyone trying to cut out sweets, trying to stop smoking, etc. can face - essentially it can become a bit of a mental obsession for whatever you are 'depriving' yourself of. The thought of it makes it better than it was so to speak. For me, the cigarette was never as good as my memory of it - it just made me feel sort of nasty. But it took a while for it to get out my head.

I actually found smoking and candy harder than meat - the former two were explicitly removing something, while the latter I just started doing more of switch - ie instead of the steak I loved, started eating a veggie Thai dish that I ended up really liking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Can you eat meat occassionally and still be vegetarian?
    Are you still punk rock, or have you sold out?
    Can you s**k the occassional d**k in a restroom and still be heterosexual?
    Can you support {Insert any one 100 things here} and still call yourself a good Catholic?

etc., etc., etc.

Maybe boards.ie should create one designated thread for all of these sort of arguments ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Nouveau

olaola wrote: »
    If you are craving meat, is there a possibility that you are lacking in minerals/vitamins? eg iron?

If you are craving a cigg, is there a possibility that you are lacking in nicoteen?

If you are craving a drink, is there a possibility that you are lacking in alcohol?

If you are craving chocolate, is there a possibility that you are lacking in sugar/fat?

It is all just learned behaviour patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Nouveau

At the moment I am craving a (vegetarian) pizza and a few beers.
    But back to the topic :
    Read Fast Food Nation, watch Earthlings, look further.
    Meat is not good for you and not good for the planet.
    It is inhumane, unethical and environmentally unsound to farm and slaughter animals in the way that is being done at present.
    Just educate yourself a little more and you will be unable to eat meat again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Sorry Nouveau, everything you say is true except the last line which is just silly. Knowing how bad meat is won't in itself make people unable to eat it.

People know the risks of smoking but they still smoke.

They not only have to know - they also have to care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Nouveau wrote: »
    It is all just learned behaviour patterns.

Hmmm not that simple really!
    You have to distinguish between addictions, and needs.

If you are craving food, you might just be hungry..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Regarding missing meat, maybe just try new flavours of food instead to appeal to your palate in a different way.

I've been gradually cutting out meat over the last year, and haven't eaten any for a month or so. At first I found that I missed the "big" savoury flavour that you get from meat - so I had to educate myself about cooking differently.

I now am eating more spicy foods and v. flavoursome things like sundried tomatoes.

Some of my fav.s are:
    Curries with tofu
    Morroccan flavours Veg Stew with toasted almonds.
    Sundried tomato & lentil shepards pie
    Spicy bean burger

PM me if you want recipies!! :)

Advertisement