Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Percentage of Students living out of home in Third Level Education

• 28-11-2007 4:44pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I am doing research at the minute for my Final Year Plan.

Basically, there are *loads* of statistics on how many students attend colleges/ITs etc. But *none* on the amount of them that live out of home!

I've checked the CSO, education.ie, even skoool.ie! Anyone have any ideas?

Even doing google searches is tough. Searching for "Students living out of home" gives me stuff on home schooling etc!

<3
    Jess

Comments

My university doesn't keep track of whether I'm living at home or not. Even if they did privacy laws would probably stop from giving the info to 3rd parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I know I'll be killed for saying this (and I can't believe I'm suggesting it) but maybe get onto someone in computer services and ask them about sending out a survey to all students. I know students hate them, and I know some places might have a policy about them, but it's worth a try. (I'm presuming you're in college yourself)

Just set up a short survey, maybe offer a prize to motivate people. (You can get anonymous answers and still get e-mail addresses to contact whoever won.)

If you can't get it sent out, then maybe make a survey and see if you can post the link on a few college forums.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Hey folks.

Thanks for the answers. I actually got about 40 people to do a survey for a fesibility study. My college (DCU) put me in touch with a statistical officer so she should be able to give me some concrete details, but I dont think I'll undertake that for every college.

Thanks for the suggestions. I might have to run a second survey (considering teh first one as a pilot, v professional dontcha know!) for the business plan FYP thing. (Link to current survey if anyone is interested.

I hate those students who do random surveys too, and being one of them kinda sucks, but its gotta be done :)

<3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You might ask USI - they do a survey of what students spend their money on every year.

Also, ask the Admin department in the college to check permanent -v- term addresses. It won't be perfect, but its a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Just complete your survey. I have to say, out of my uni (UCD) a hell of a lot of students seem to be the "live at home" brigade. I work four days a week part time and the vast amount of money I earn evaporates on money to grasping landlords and on the utility bills!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

neilled wrote: »
    Just complete your survey. I have to say, out of my uni (UCD) a hell of a lot of students seem to be the "live at home" brigade. I work four days a week part time and the vast amount of money I earn evaporates on money to grasping landlords and on the utility bills!
    The vast majority of people of student age in south east Dublin do in fact attend.

http://www.cso.ie/census/census2006results/PSER/Census2006_PSER_Map%202.pdf

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement