Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whey Protein & Supplements

• 28-11-2007 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Howdy Folks,

I am working on reducing the belly ! and overall loosing weight. I want to tone up and in the process get fit and knock the excess fat off. Its been mentioned to me to look into taking whey protein.

Ive heard that taking protein will make you put on weight :eek:

Does anyone know of a protein i can take that strips fat, possibly something from maximuscle etc?

Any feedback very much welcome.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

irishvibez wrote: »
    Howdy Folks,

I am working on reducing the belly ! and overall loosing weight. I want to tone up and in the process get fit and knock the excess fat off. Its been mentioned to me to look into taking whey protein.

Ive heard that taking protein will make you put on weight :eek:

Does anyone know of a protein i can take that strips fat, possibly something from maximuscle etc?

Any feedback very much welcome.

Thanks in advance

Mate - protein is just a food product, think of it like eating chicken.
    If you consume more calories than you use you get fat, if you consume less you dont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Read the stickies at the top of the forum.

Eat more calories than you use = fat
    Eat less calories than you use = loss of muscle and fat

Eat lots of good fats, some carbs and lots and lots of protein + lifting weights = lose fat, put on muscle.

As muscle is heavier than fat you may not lose weight but you will lose fat and be healthier!

That's my basic understanding. The others here know far, far more than I could ever claim to know about this stuff so listen to them and do it their way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 irishvibez

I know about calorie intake but my question is if i start taking whey will it store as FAT regardless of how much i do in the gym.

Can anyone recommend any?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

again whey is essentially dairy derived protein. Unless you're going over your calorie expenditure you shouldn't be storing it as fat.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Many people new to protein supplements seem to go on a protein drinking binge, 3 times a day: morning, noon and night.

This is fine if you are a total weed and need the extra cals along with an unchanged diet to gain weight.

However, original poster, if you are already overweight and just drink the protein without overhauling your diet, these extra protein calories will of course make you fatter.

What you need to do is:
    1) Cut the cr@p out of your diet
    2) Go to the gym to burn off fat and built muscle
    3) This is optional: use protein to build more muscle.

To be honest, if you are overweight at the moment you will probably be able to build muscle fast enough now if you start going to the gym, due to the amount of calories you eat ... so maybe the extra protein is not needed.

I'd recommend not using the protein until after gyming it out for 3 months on a decent diet. See what happens and reassess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 irishvibez

BossArky wrote: »

I'd recommend not using the protein until after gyming it out for 3 months on a decent diet. See what happens and reassess.

I rekin il go with that, cheers

PS - if im training good and hard should my calorie intake increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭silverwex

I found a new site recently that has Maximuscle products on it, not sure if it's any good though:

www.irishsupplements.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Buzz Buzz

Taking protein will not make you gain weight. Very basically, it will help maintain or increase your muscle. If your just doing largely cardio, protein will help stop the breakdown of your muscle and help concentrate largely on taking 'energy' from your fat, and so you will lose the belly and any other fat stores. If you are involved in a heavy resistance training programme, taking protein (and a fair bit of it) will help you build muscle. Like Mack1 said its just another food product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 bond2008

You ONLY need 0.36 * (YOUR WEIGHT IN POUNDS) protein a day, on an average. If you are hitting the gym hard, roughly add more to it. say, plus 25 gms around...
    So whatever extra proteins (which are left unused) will be stored as FAT. This is why better do not take excess protein without having rough calculation.
    Ref : http://health.msn.com/fitness/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100166349

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

irishvibez wrote: »
    I rekin il go with that, cheers

PS - if im training good and hard should my calorie intake increase?

If you're training good and hard you'll be fecking starving morning, noon and night. Your body will be craving food, this is when your diet will be very important. I'd say post again when you're at that stage (if you're still unsure what to be eating/drinkin).

In the meantime I'd go with BossArky and leave off the supplements for awhile.. Seriously its going to be some time before you really need to supplement your diet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you're training good and hard you'll be fecking starving morning, noon and night. Your body will be craving food, this is when your diet will be very important. I'd say post again when you're at that stage (if you're still unsure what to be eating/drinkin).

In the meantime I'd go with BossArky and leave off the supplements for awhile.. Seriously its going to be some time before you really need to supplement your diet.

Maybe in the 9 years since its time for supplements for the OP.

Advertisement