Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need help finding a projector

• 28-11-2007 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am trying to buy a projector for my boyfriend for Christmas and I really need help!

The first problem is I know nothing about technology and I don't know what I'm buying. I have looked up a bit online and I've noted a few things to look for, like resolution, contrast ratio, lumens and lamp life etc. but when it comes to comparing models I find myself lost and the different ones I've seen seem to use different units in their specifications so I can't compare them directly.

The second problem is that I don't know where to buy one. I live in Galway and I can't seem to find that many retailers. I checked in PC world and they only have two kinds, both Optoma. The only other place I could find selling them is AudioVision on Mary Street. I'd buy from them if I knew I couldn't get a better deal elsewhere, but I still don't know how to choose. Travelling to somewhere like Dublin to buy one is not a problem but I need to know exactly what I'm getting first, I don't have time to go up to browse.

I don't really want to go for the internet for a number of reasons. I don't have a credit card. I need it to be delivered before Christmas. I work and my boyfriend is the only one in the house to accept deliveries. Also, because of my lack of knowledge of projectors I really want to physically see what I'm buying.

I hope someone can give me some advice,
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭jmal

Hi waterfaerie,

What is the projector going to be used for?? Home Theatre, Business, PC etc.
    Where is it going to be located, Ceiling mounted, Table top, etc.
    What is you estimated budget?

Then we should be able to help you.

JJ

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

It's mainly for the wii and playstation but also for tv and films played from a laptop and possibly presentations. It would mostly be used at home- probably table top.

Ideally I don't want to spend much more than 500 but I know that's quite low and I do want a decent one. I could go up to 800 or 900 but only with a real push.

With the connectivity of most projectors available today, any of the above requirements would not be a problem.

What you will have to concider is brightness and contrast.

A 1000 lumen projector is only going to perform well in a nearly dark room.
    If you are looking for a projector that will also be reasonably bright in near "daylight" conditions then your going to have to go for something in the 2000 lumen range or above.

For that price bracket, you can probably mark out many of the brighter home theater projectors, and if price is the deciding figure you should look at one of the educational & business models. Optoma are ususally one of the best priced projector in their range.

The new Optoma DV11 retailing for €999 is a very good Home Theatre and All-Rounder which has come up in lumens to 1600 from the older model DV10. This might be an option which also has a built in DVD player and specker system and produces an excellent picture. Check this tread out and the attached image.

I have the Optoma DV10 and find it an excellent projector for movies/Playstation/Sky Box etc but all in near darkness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

nearly had this bought myself. but had to change the car instead.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=326377

I personally have bought about €6000 worth from Komplett and had no probs. had to return a 500w power supply once and they replaced it with a 620w for free.

probably a little over budget but for that price it a good all round projector

see reviews below.

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/projectors/0,39037571,39272222p,00.htm

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/televisions/0,39030219,49290875,00.htm

I know it recently has been replaced by the pt-ax200 but that is €300 more

Thanks guys,

that's way out of my budget though and I need more general advice rather than specific recommendations.

Can anyone just advise me on which shops to try? If I had a few shops to look in in Galway to compare or some in Dublin I could ring up that would help.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Thanks guys,

that's way out of my budget though and I need more general advice rather than specific recommendations.

Can anyone just advise me on which shops to try? If I had a few shops to look in in Galway to compare or some in Dublin I could ring up that would help.

Thanks!

hey man i live in galway and you won't be trying out any projector any time soon in a shop, i bought the panasonic pt ax100 of komplett a couple of months ago and its amazing, suprisingly its like a t.v on my wall its so bright and if your a gamer it brings a 3sexty to life, you get what you pay for and take in to consideration that the bulb is gonna cost a few bob too

Well, I think I've resigned to the fact that I have to buy it online.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the Acer X1160 would do? I found it on two different websites. On Elara.ie it's €424 with a 2 year warranty, and on komplett.ie it's €409 with a 1 year warranty. Any idea why this difference?

Price wise I'd like to go with this one unless there's something really bad about it. On elara.ie it says it's fine for gameplay and home cinema. Basically, it'll just be my boyfriend and me playing the wii and playstation or watching the odd dvd in a smallish room, so if it does that I'll be happy.

I hope someone can let me know if this one is ok? Or if not, any recommendations for ones less than €500 only please! I would love to spend more but it's just definitely out of the question at the moment.

Thanks so much for help!

Now too sure about the Acer X1160. Has been described as "indulge in cinematic entertainment and high-intensity gaming " but im unsure of this, because its hard to know without seeing the unit in operation.

My concern would be with the Native 4:3 aspect ratio which is usually found in Education & Business pj's.

A home theatre and gaming projector should have 16:9 native aspect ratio. If a 4:3 projector is used in the 16:9 setting then the picture needs to be stretched which usually results in a poor picture relative to a true HT projector. Every projector is different so I cannot comment on how the Acer handles this but simply advise you on what is normally the case.

Your problem is going to be finding a Home Theatre projector for the budget you have requested. €869 is the lowest good quality HT projector I know about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Hi Waterfaerie,
    You should keep an eye on adverts.ie and buy&sell. People are always upgrading.
    In August I bought a 1month old panasonic ptax100e in Galway for €810 for the wii and ps3... there are pictures of it on the "HE do it yourself" link.
    It was a great buy and hopefully you could get lucky.

The ps3 plays blue ray disc which is high definition.
    The wii and ps2 are not high definition, if you want a projector for just the wii and ps2 you don't need a high definition projector, but if you want to upgrade in the future to a ps3 high definition is worth the extra money.

If you buy second hand you can usually see it working and check the life span of the bulb.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

How about a BenQ mp721 for €780 from elara

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1305100

or komplett bit dearer

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=329959&view=detailed

review here

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/televisions/0,39030218,49294597,00.htm

It seems to have 1,024 by 768 pixels resolution and a 3 yr warrinty

Sorry just noticed you dont fancy going over €500. im afraid for that budget you wont get much!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 COL26

Hi waterfaerie,

Check out this site, www.projection.ie

Drop them an email, should be able to sort you out if you
    have not already got a pj.:p

Advertisement