Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gluten free foods

• 28-11-2007 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

where can i get gluten free icecream,custard and soups . and also baking powder ,cant seem to find it in the supermarkets

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Parnassia

Try a healthfood shop - I've gotten gluten free baking powder in one, but haven't looked for gluten free anything else!

In supermarkets, Tesco have a 'free from' range that is mostly gluten free (but check packets). You can actually get a dairy-free icecream (Soy Glace) that is also gluten free. Does Bird's custard powder have gluten?

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

What's the beef with gluten? How do people know if they are allergic to gluten?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

An allergy to gluten is known as coeliac (see-lee-ack) disease. The symptoms are ongoing constipation, diarrhoeia, bloating, reflux, nausea, weight-loss or gain...basically not nice at all.

If you have some or all of these symptoms it is worth getting a blood test to check for it. It can be corrected by adhering to a diet completely free of gluten (which is found in wheat and all wheat products).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

An allergy to gluten is known as coeliac (see-lee-ack) disease. The symptoms are ongoing constipation, diarrhoeia, bloating, reflux, nausea, weight-loss or gain...basically not nice at all.

If you have some or all of these symptoms it is worth getting a blood test to check for it. It can be corrected by adhering to a diet completely free of gluten (which is found in wheat and all wheat products).

I don't have any of these symptons. Was just curious as to why people are often banging on about gluten-free bagels and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Trust me, when you're diagnosed and you take corrective action, the improvements in your life are amazing.

TBH, I've generally avoided gluten-free foods as they're very over-priced, I tend to cook the majority of my food myself and keep an eagle eye on the ingredients I use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

dudara wrote: »
    Trust me, when you're diagnosed and you take corrective action, the improvements in your life are amazing.

TBH, I've generally avoided gluten-free foods as they're very over-priced, I tend to cook the majority of my food myself and keep an eagle eye on the ingredients I use.

fact and me too, they are very over priced indeed, try being a coeliac an dlactose intollerant!

Tesco's free from range isn't expensive.
    I saw lactose free cows milk in tesco last week. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Tesco's free from range isn't expensive.
    I saw lactose free cows milk in tesco last week. :o

lactose free cow's milk? really?

don't mean to condescend but was it soya milk by any chance

thought that was completely impossable for some reason

the range in tesco's is reasonable compared to health shops but there is no need for it to be as over-priced as it is!

Nope, its cows milk. Apparently they add an enzyme Lactase that breaks down the lactose into more digestable sugars.

I think this might be the brand they are carrying http://www.lactofree.co.uk/lactofree/

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭eamonn4321

Dunnes now do a gluten free black bean sauce - Fantastic!! My wife has not had this for years as she is coeliac, and most BB sauces have soy sauce with wheat in them.

Cooked with it tonight and it was lovely.

Coeliac disease is serious but very manageable if a bit tiresome, and all too common although often not diagnosed.

www.coeliac.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 gas_ticket

I know its been months since you posted, but I recently came across and used an Irish company that does next-day delivery of gluten free foods for coeliacs:

www.ecodirect.ie

They have exactly what you need, and in top quality brand names. Because they only do stuff that is gluten-free you don't have to read the small labels and waste hours browsing

I've done a blood test last year that put me on gluten, dairy, yeast, millet, egg-free diet. Great fun altogether.

Advertisement