Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone had to go back to eating meat for health reasons?

• 28-11-2007 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone? Long story but have been told by my doctor that I should go back to eating red meat at least once a week. I've been a vegetarian for almost 8 years...I went to him because of my bruises (I only have to look at a wall and I bruise at this stage!) and he said my blood is very low in iron. I've taken iron supplements since this, went back and he said it's still very low...it's not a matter of life or death just yet but has anyone here been told they actually have to eat meat for health reasons? I really don't want to stop being a vegetarian but my own health has to come first. Should I ask for a second opinion? Any info or advice would be appreciated, I don't want to change just because of one doctor's opinion. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hi Clare.
    No, I can't see any reason you would have to eat meat for health reasons, just eat non meat foods that contain Iron.

Froma sticky I wrote...
    Iron:is another nutrient often thought to be deficent in plant based diets,and
    iron deficiency is indeed the most common deficiency in both vegetarians and meat-eaters diets.
    Whatever your diet,you should avoid drinking milk or tea a mealtimes because both calcium in
    dairy products and tannic acid in tea inhibit the absorption of iron from other foods.

Iron rich foods include dried fruits(weight for weight dried apricots contain
    four times more iron than lamb does)nuts(especially brazils),wholegrains,dried peas,
    beans and lentils,leafy green vegetables,molasses and egg yokes.Although iron may be absorbed more easily through meat,the plus for vegetarians is that they eat foods which contain good amounts of vitamin C,not contained in meat,and this boosts their absorbtion of iron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

It's also worth mentioning that the daily recommended iron intake for an adult woman is higher than for a man. So making sure you're getting enough iron in your diet every day when you don't eat meat is easier said than done.

I think it would be wise for you to get a second opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

It seems unusual that you are taking supplements, but your iron levels are still low. There are a lot of different types of iron supplements, maybe try a different one, although the advice to get it through your diet should be the best option.

Get a different doctor. Why isn't he bothered that the supplements haven't had an effect.
    Have you always been pale and bruised easily?
    Have you have really heavy periods?

I don't see any difference between taking a supplement properly so as to aid absorption and getting it from meat.
    The best supplement is SpaTone, they are sachets of water in an orange box. You need take them in OJ because VIT C aids absorptions and you avoid taking it with things like milk, eggs and tea that block it. It's a natural iron rich mineral water, so its easy on your stomach and when your body gets enough iron it excretes the excess.
    I'd try taking two of them a day for a while if I was you, instead of the liquid or pills. Assuming the doctor oks it.

I have lots of meateater friends with aneamia. Caused by things like Heavy periods, Coiltis, Celiac disease, Piles, Ulcers...it is not always as simple as blaming the diet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Where do you get SpaTone? Health food shops?

• Advertisement

Healthfood shops and chemists.
    They have a website http://www.spatone.com/en.php?section=faq&id=13
    I used to take it when I was stressed with excersise or exams.
    Then I started to give blood and found out that I have very high iron.
    If I had been taking a non water souble supplement, I could have been getting too much. Not a good thing.
    So I think people shouldn't just assume because they are veg*n that they are lacking. You should get tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Thanks for all your help everyone, really appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Parnassia

You could also try cooking in a cast-iron pan - some of the iron goes into the food, especially if you are cooking acidic things (like a tomato sauce).

I second the poster above though that if you are taking supplements and have seen no improvement you should ask your doctor about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Try having a spoonful of black strap molasses every morning and evening. Snack on dried fruits and nuts and liquorice during the day, and get a large portion of leafy green vegetables every day. Eating some kiwis which are very high in Vitamin C will help the iron absorption.

Floradix is another good supplement (liquid form), it's a bit pricey but it also has B12, C and some other vitamins & herbs/fruit juices, as well as Iron.

And it's vegetarian :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

ah! i think those are not vegan.... but that's grand for the veggies :D

Yep Floradix at least has Honey in it, however they have another one called Floravital which is vegan & yeast-free, and also contains Iron.

You can get both in health food shops etc. here. You can also get little mini one-dose bottles of floradix (not so environmentally friendly?!), and tablet forms, but I think the liquid one is better. The only problem is that it can stain your teeth if you are not careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

ah cool! thanks for the info. after mistakenly purchasing the floradix, i decided to hell with it and bought the veg1 supplements from the vegan society website. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

My sister added poultry and fish back in her diet for protien after doctor determined she was allergic to both soy and wheat, and had trouble digesting most legumes(!). She stopped eating all sugar as well.

She's doing a lot better healthwise, and I think is trying adding back in legumes. But her prior issues were more to do with eating things she was allergic to than not eating meat.

How are you feeling now Claire Bear?

tristanc wrote: »
    My sister added poultry and fish back in her diet for protien after doctor determined she was allergic to both soy and wheat, and had trouble digesting most legumes(!). She stopped eating all sugar as well.

Wow, alergic to soy and wheat and not eating sugar. That sucks :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Is Iron in food, the same as Iron, the metal?

Could you eat an occasional paperclip to balance out your diet?

Note: Only the first question is serious.

Mmmmmmmmmm paper clips

Advertisement