Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi core support in games

Options
  • 28-11-2007 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Whats the current state of affairs with regard to multi-core support in games. I have a dual core but am considering going quad core and was wondering if it would be pointless ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

If there's an Xbox 360 version of the game, chances are it will scale well the more cores you throw at it (well up to 6 cores anyway). Otherwise it all depends on how the game was written, but I'd imagine many high-profile games being released now are properly multithreaded.

But make sure your GPU is similarly powerful, otherwise the framerate will end up being limited by your graphics card and not your CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Quad-core support in games isn't huge now, Supreme Commander seems to be one of the first to take up the flag with Crysis following.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Phenom_9700-Spider_Platform-790FX,review-29761-28.html

The quad cores come in highier places than the other benchmark games.

If you go quad core it won't be totally pointless, you'll be future proofed for awhile. Most of the bottlenecks with high end processors seem to be the GPU's, if you want to direct your monies in to something that will give you better preformance right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I've had a quad core for the last 5 weeks and I've not noticed any games including crysis using more than 2 of the cores. In fact I've not noticed any programs whatsoever using 100% on all 4 cores, including encoding divx / winrar. If you are thinking of buying a processor, dual core is still plenty IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Crysis,SupCom, UT3 and HL2 as far as im aware all support Quad core cpu's, you can get a Q6600 for €250 ....thats pretty cheap for such a powerfull processor.

CC

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I've had a quad core for the last 5 weeks and I've not noticed any games including crysis using more than 2 of the cores

The crysis demo used all 4 cores for me according to performance monitor on my G15 keyboard.

About 30% from each core.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

They're not really proper multi core games. Definitely not half life 2.

Examples (check our cpu usage in top right corner)
    bioshockjv1.th.jpg
    hl2ma8.th.jpg

UT uses about 30% on each of my four cores, everything maxed at 1900x1200. Sure it would run just as fast on two cores.

Supreme commander is the most impressive as far as multicore usage goes. If its busy enough on screen I've seen high 80's on all cores, but I dont have a save game to show it off.

crysisvh3.th.jpg

Crysis is reknowned for its lack of multicore usage, read lots of articles about how they promised it would make use of 4 cores, but Intel quad core was one of their biggest sponsors.

Advertisement