Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corruption: Redknapp, Mandaric, Faye and McKay all arrested

• 28-11-2007 7:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

:eek:

Breaking news on Sky Sports

Edit:
    Police investigating corruption in football today arrested Harry Redknapp, Milan Mandaric and three other men in their biggest operation so far.

The Portsmouth manager and Leicester chairman were held in pre-dawn raids this morning which involved more than 60 officers from the City of London Police.

Rangers midfielder Amdy Faye, agent Willie McKay and Portsmouth chief executive Peter Storrie were also held as officers searched eight addresses across the UK.

The move is believed to be a significant development in the inquiry wgich will now focus on the transfer of Faye from Auxerre to Portsmouth for £1.5million in 2005 and his subsequent move to Newcastle for £2m the following year.

When Faye made the switch to Portsmouth, Mandaric was still the chairman at Fratton Park and Redknapp was again the club's manager when the midfielder went to St James' Park.

The arrests come after the arrest in September of Tottenham defender Pascal Chimbonda. The 28-year-old French international moved to Spurs in a £4.5m transfer from Wigan in August of last year and was the first player to be held in the City of London police inquiry.

Today police refused to give details of the identity of those held, beyond giving their ages as 69, 60, 55, 48 and 30.

A police spokeswoman said: “We can confirm that they have been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud and false accounting.

“The arrests are part of the City of London police's investigation into football corruption.” The City police's economic crime department launched the investigation, code-named Operation Apprentice, into alleged corruption in the sport more than a year ago.

Two people have been held so far. As well as Chimbonda, who was arrested on suspicion of fraud, a 61-year old man has been held on suspicion of money laundering.

Both men are on police bail pending further inquiries. The investigation centres on alleged tax fraud and money laundering — which is believed to include claims of individuals taking back-handers in relation to transfers. Since the inquiry was launched, detectives have raided Newcastle, Portsmouth and Glasgow Rangers.

Chimbonda's transfer was negotiated by McKay, who represents a number of top foreign players.

A former bookie, McKay, has denied that he is being investigated by police and has said: “I think you will probably find when it all comes out, it will be nothing.”

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/article-23423512-details/Premier+League+manager+Harry+Redknapp+arrested+in+football+bungs+probe/article.do

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Bet Arry didnt see that coming. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Holy fnck. Good to see something is finally being pursued after all the noises made for years...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

to think until today Arry was the favourite englishman for their national job... not no more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Dodgy dealings in football? I'm shocked and horrified :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i always honestly not even completely sarcastically thought harry redknapp undertook all dealings above board . . . . oh wait

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats one name off the list. Take some of the heat off Liverpool for a minute too.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Ah well...hopefully that will stop Walter Smith from playing Amdy Faye in the midfield on saturday! I didnt know you could be charged for impersonating a football player ;)
    As for McKay.....i cant say im surprised!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Any chance they could arrest Terry Venables before the FAI give him the job? Not that that would probably bother them too much anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Beat me to it Zaph. If what we are being led to believe is true (that the FAI already have El Tel lined up) I wonder will Delaney now hold off for a few weeks to see if anyone else is implicated?

madds wrote: »
    Beat me to it Zaph. If what we are being led to believe is true (that the FAI already have El Tel lined up) I wonder will Delaney now hold off for a few weeks to see if anyone else is implicated?

What makes you think Venables is in any way connected?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Stekelly wrote: »
    What makes you think Venables is in any way connected?:confused:

Not sure on the full story, but Venables was always a dodgy mofo. he did one or two things at spuds and did 2 years with engerland after a fairly succesful euro championship, fa was dying to get rid of him.

I hope they find someway to implicate Jamie and get him off sky.

Not sure on the full story, but Venables was always a dodgy mofo. he did one or two things at spuds and did 2 years with engerland after a fairly succesful euor championship..

He hasnt had anythign to do with Portsmouth for 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Sits back, smiles to himself, cracks open a can and lets out a nice... ahhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Wonder what wonder boy on Sky Sports has to say about this. LOL. Never liked Harry Redknapp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

How many people are actually surprised by this:rolleyes:

Very few judging by this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

I'm surprised something is actually being done about it.

I remember reading at the time Portsmouth signed Faye that the transfer was quite bizzare. Something about kidnapping him as he was heading to the airport to leave England :confused:. Does anyone else remember that?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

will there be any repucussions for Portsmouth retrospectivley like points deductions etc? will Harry have to resign?

will there be any repucussions for Portsmouth retrospectivley like points deductions etc? will Harry have to resign?

Without bias, you would have to imagine so (on both counts) if they are charged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Maybe he'll drag a few others down with him, starting with Wenger, I hear he's a dodgey chap :)

(note that Wenger is probably in no way dodgey)

• Advertisement

This isn't a bung enquiry though and has nothing to do with the Premier League, so I don't see why they should. Milan is no longer the owner and it doesn't appear as though the club itself profitted in any way.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Its a police investigation into money laundering and tax fraud. So doubt the premier league could punish the club via points deductions/fines since its a civil case - not a internal investigation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Willie McKay seems to be the agent for every African player playing in the UK, he must be raking in the money still even if he's not involved in bungs.

Willie McKay seems to be the agent for every African player playing in the UK, he must be raking in the money still even if he's not involved in bungs.

Willie Mackay's name always seems to get brought into these things.

The rumour I had heard and this is speculation etc etc, is that Newcastle did use an agency to manage all their transfers, owned by Freddie Shepherd's son. Because they are a PLC, they need to be open and honest with their shareolders and if they pay over the odds so the agency gets a bigger cut, they are defrauding the shareholders. The new Chairman went through the books and rumbled this and alerted the Police.

I would be surprised if Milan is involved in this as he always came accross as a very open and honest chairman and when Harry resigned four years ago, it is rumoured that Willie Mackay was one of the reasons.

All rumour though and no facts to base this on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp insisted last night that the City of London Police investigation into corruption in football – which led to his arrest - does not “directly concern” him.

Speaking as he returned home, Redknapp said: “We all helped the police with their inquiries, but it doesn’t directly concern me – it’s other people involved.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/mhmhideykfmh/

Seems that he has wiggled his way out

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

jameshayes wrote: »
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/mhmhideykfmh/

Seems that he has wiggled his way out
    Supposedly he says he was arrested only because they wanted to ask him questions in a police station on record...

Last time I checked you could volunteer to go on record..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Its a police investigation into money laundering and tax fraud. So doubt the premier league could punish the club via points deductions/fines since its a civil case - not a internal investigation.

Indeed. The FA have no interest in cleaning up the game - that would mean admitting the game's bent.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Indeed. The FA have no interest in cleaning up the game - that would mean admitting the game's bent.

and people might start looking too closely at their finances :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

I've always though Redknapp was dodgy. He proved himself to be a liar during the Southampton/Portsmouth seesaw affair, promising both clubs that he wasnt leaving to go to the other and then doing just that. But he'll probably come out of this smelling of roses again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Supposedly he says he was arrested only because they wanted to ask him questions in a police station on record...

Last time I checked you could volunteer to go on record..

Exactly. Harry's quote is a belter:
    "They have to arrest you to talk to you, for you to be in the police station. I think that's the end of it, it didn't directly concern me."

I can see it now.... the copper picking up Harry and saying "I'm arresting you on suspi.... actually I'm arresting you so we can have a cuppa and a chat". :D

I've always though Redknapp was dodgy. He proved himself to be a liar during the Southampton/Portsmouth seesaw affair, promising both clubs that he wasnt leaving to go to the other and then doing just that. But he'll probably come out of this smelling of roses again

That was all smoke and mirrors. He was sent there on a mission which he accomplished. Our original agent, Steve wigley, looked like failing, so Arry had to finish the job.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Maybe he'll drag a few others down with him, starting with Wenger, I hear he's a dodgey chap :)

(note that Wenger is probably in no way dodgey)

Not whiter than white either. Weren't there questions raised by BBC Newsnight about the whole Belgian feeder club (Beveren, I think) scandal last year?

Ferguson and the 99 questions also come to mind.

FWIW I think corruption is rife in the game and I doubt if any club is unaffected.

But it comes from the top look at FIFA and Blatter moving heaven and earth to stop the committee that was looking at his handling of FIFAs' Finances. And dont' get me started about Jack Warner!

Not whiter than white either. Weren't there questions raised by BBC Newsnight about the whole Belgian feeder club (Beveren, I think) scandal last year?

Ferguson and the 99 questions also come to mind.

FWIW I think corruption is rife in the game and I doubt if any club is unaffected.

But it comes from the top look at FIFA and Blatter moving heaven and earth to stop the committee that was looking at his handling of FIFAs' Finances. And dont' get me started about Jack Warner!

THe problem here though, is that a PLC is involved and defrauding shareholders is very serious and there is nothing the FA can do to cover that up.

I have a feeling that Redknapp may be hung out to dry so the FA look like they care. It makes them look good and doesn't affect one of their precious "Big" clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Anyone see Harry's press conference? He was reinforcing that it had nothing directly to do with him, that he was only answering questions.

My question is though...if that's the case, why did he have to be released on bail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

THe problem here though, is that a PLC is involved and defrauding shareholders is very serious and there is nothing the FA can do to cover that up.
    Fred,
    you could almost say the same about most premiership clubs, but nothing has been done until now. I don't think the FA or PL want to start digging too deep.
    I have a feeling that Redknapp may be hung out to dry so the FA look like they care. It makes them look good and doesn't affect one of their precious "Big" clubs.

Yes I think it could happen but you have to start somewhere. But what's the alternative continue with the nods and winks letting them steal more money out of fans / shareholders pockets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I remember reading somewhere that 'Arry signed 120 players in his time at W.Ham, the guy must loaded.

Anyone see Harry's press conference? He was reinforcing that it had nothing directly to do with him, that he was only answering questions.

My question is though...if that's the case, why did he have to be released on bail?

to stop him running away if they need to question him again. Apparantly conspiracy charges are very complicated so they can take a long time to put together. I expect Arry has also been told to keep away from his best mate...Willie Mackay:rolleyes:

The FA are very quiet on this, I wonder if this has anything to do with the kickback they get from transfer fees that they don't like to talk about?

Advertisement