Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rate Call of Duty 4!

• 28-11-2007 7:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Well, as some of you may know, I no longer have a gaming rig so I haven't played CoD4 yet. But I was wondering what you lucky people out there who played it think about it!

So please take part in this survey and give an overall score between 0 and 10 (to cover everything: looks, game play, Single Player, Multi Player, game life, etc.) and tell us why you gave that score!

Thank you for taking part! :)

Please Rate Call of Duty 4 Overall 164 votes

10 - Best Game Ever!
    0% 0 votes
    9 - Excellent Game!
    11% 19 votes
    8 - Very Good Game!
    53% 88 votes
    7 - Good Game
    20% 33 votes
    6 - Average Game
    9% 15 votes
    5 - OK...
    0% 1 vote
    4 - Disappointing Overall
    1% 3 votes
    3 - Not Very Good
    1% 3 votes
    2 - Very Poor
    0% 0 votes
    1 - Crap Game
    1% 2 votes
    0 - Worst Game Ever Made
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

9/10. Because I liked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

God you're fast! Didn't even have time to finish the poll!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I hope everyone votes once for each of the options so that the average is 5, so you can see how putting "average" game as option nuber 6 was a silly idea since the "average" option would be above the actual average.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Binomate, Die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Excellent game. I love the way it varies from level to level. Playing it on the PS3. Looks good and plays smoothly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

8/10 because

Multiplayer - Great
    Single player - far too short for my liking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

I gave it an 8. Definitly a step up from 2 but still not quite as good as the first. Multiplayer online can be a bit hit and miss, you definitly need to find a few good servers and stick to them. Singleplayer is pretty good when it doesnt be crashing. But as a lan game it is spectacular, played it at an 8 man lan last weekend. We didn't play any other game. You can still rank up and unlock when playing on a local server unlike BF2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Loving it so far with the exception of that bastard sniper level. Best game I've played so far this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

kaimera wrote: »

Loving it so far with the exception of that bastard sniper level. Best game I've played so far this year.

What he said! ^^^

but i passed that level, loser!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭niallispuresex

9 because the mp maps too small and will stay like that because people will be afraid of putting new maps because then their server becomes unranked and then point hungry fools won't join their servers....
    Well that's what i hope wont happen.
    sp great, but for some reason i just didn't get into the story line and characters as i did in cod2.

• Advertisement

Otacon wrote: »
    What he said! ^^^

but i passed that level, loser!
    I hate you :p

I will pass it, this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

fantastic game alright. Gave it a 9/10. Really enjoying single player and even having some trouble with it. Was stuck at the end of that sniper level for ages. A few levels further down the line now and it hasn't been as hard since that.

Multiplayer just chews up my time. I dont realise how long I'm playing until i look at the clock and it's 2-3 hours later. Fantastic and very engrossing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

SP was great buy Miltiplayer is just heaven sent.
    Totally brilliant online and light years ahead of everything else.
    Our server has not been empty since it went live,we have hundreds of regulars.

All pc gamers NEED this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The single player is very entertaining, it reminded me allot of the first one. Way to short it's more like a film in that it's a short bit of entertianment.

Multi player is fairly cool, I can't rate it against any other games as this is the first multiplayer game I've played. I don't even know what all the game types are. Been sticking to free for all, team deathmatch and domination. I tend to run on alone at times because every one else just seems to sit around taking pot shoots, I don't know if there are team tactics going on or if I'm messing things up for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I gave it a 10, simply because im a big fan of the series and I just think its a great game overall yes the single player is short but its so good it makes you wanna do it over(which I did)and the mulitplayer is just great had me going for hours and hours just waiting to get it back off my friend to play it again.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I'm still playing through it at the moment, but can definitely see myself giving it at least a 9...
    An absolutely sublime slice of gaming so far, and it looks the nuts too! (even nicer than Crysis IMO, thanks to being able to have everything up full AND have FSAA on)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

Great game. Single player is excellent - played through it in one sitting yesterday (off work for a week!) and while I'll agree its short, its difficult as well. Some of the missions have definite replay value.

Only started the multiplayer last night and was only playing search and destroy. And its great but the maps are a little too small. What I'm looking for is basically a better battlefield 2...

But overall - one of the best games out there at the minute. Its a pity there are so many other games out at the minute like the orange box, crysis, the witcher, and so on...

9/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

It is obvious it's a 10 ...cause my financial embarrassment prevents me from getting it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭2347

djkeogh wrote: »
    I dont realise how long I'm playing until i look at the clock and it's 2-3 hours later.

Thank god it's happening to somone else I thought I was "missing time" :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

9 Excellent Game! And I haven't even looked at the SP yet.

• Advertisement

Oh my God! I can't believe that 84% of you voted 8, 9 or 10! That's amazing!

It must really be a great game! I can't believe I haven't played it yet... And I call myself a CoD Moderator??? :rolleyes:

Anyway, that's it, I've made up my mind and I'm investing in a new system! I'll be fragging the cr@p out of you guys within weeks! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭2347

Don't get too excited it will make the game a dissapointment:D

I voted 9/10 by the way

Yeah that's true actually... I should assume it's cr@p! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

7 - it is a good game BUT could have been SO much better. As other people said, the mp maps are too small and it ends up being a complete nade fest at times and it can all be a bit too chaotic. Play Shipment on a 24 full person server to see what I mean (we dropped that map from our server immediately) .

Graphics are excellent (even on my laptop) and the environment is fantastic in general.

As someone else also said....find a few decent servers that you like and stick to them.

Level up / Exp system is a horrible waste of time and a complete dumbing down for the console people. You get 10 year olds bragging about their gold gun this and their promotions that....ugh. Can't wait until modded/unranked servers become common once a lot of people are at level 55. We will definitely be using custom maps once they become available.

Finally...gamemodes...NO CTF!!!!!!
    That cost it at least 2 points for me as we were a CTF only clan :D

Our server is now on a rotation of S+D (nothing like SD in COD2 which put me to sleep immediately...for hardcore SD players, I think you will find they have ruined it for you as it is now a rush to plant effort instead of a quiet tactical battle), HQ, Domination and sabotage all of which are OK but I miss my CTF :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Only played the SP when I had problems with MP.
    Best MP game I have ever played by a long shot. The more you play it the better you get. The better you get the harder the contenters and you just get better and better. Have played it to death already, wouldn't mind some new maps in a while though. 9/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Cant comment on MP as i only played it once before i traded the game, but the SP is painful. Scripted to death, respawning enemies who are able to make a grenade land at your feet from a mile away. The design is like something out of 2003, its linear to the point of boredom. Not really sure how the mp is any better than cod 1 & uo really, apart from adding unlocks and ranks, which imo is ruining online games due to stat whoring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Played call of duty 3... but didn't really take full advantage of it. COD 4 (on the 360) is amazing ... had great fun with the sp mode ...and is pretty much the first fps multi player I've ever played, and I'm loving it.

apart from adding unlocks and ranks, which imo is ruining online games due to stat whoring

Since most who play the game anyway regularly are lvl 55 stat whoring is not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

SP - excellent gfx,good storyline(if a little OTT on the usa v islam suggestions) scripting can drive you mad (eg play same level over again you know exactly where/what the enemy will do) Your team cannot be ordered around and basically follow you so as to render them pretty pointless .

MP - a big improvement except for the noob "ranking" idea - are all fps gonna be reduced to this type of rubbish in future?

overall - excellent effort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

[DF]Lenny wrote: »
    SP - excellent gfx,good storyline(if a little OTT on the usa v islam suggestions) scripting can drive you mad (eg play same level over again you know exactly where/what the enemy will do) Your team cannot be ordered around and basically follow you so as to render them pretty pointless .

MP - a big improvement except for the noob "ranking" idea - are all fps gonna be reduced to this type of rubbish in future?

overall - excellent effort

exactly how I feel about it and a nice review

the scripting is my main gripe with it. In this day and age they do not need to do this

Why do so many focus on ranking to compalin about?
    Its not as if the weapons at high ranks are any better than the basic default ones.
    I just dont see why people complain about it,at the end of the day what difference to online fun does it make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

kaimera wrote: »
    I hate you :p

I will pass it, this weekend.

I completed the game on a nomal difficulty level.

Now im doing it on the hardest. Still stuck on this mission after two weeks. I got so close a few times.

I voted 9. I thought the single player was a decent length. At least I can play it again after I beat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭jasonbourme.cs

cant think of a single thing that i would fault the game for .

played it veteran all the way through , awesome game

multiplayer is cool as well the more you play the more you unlock nice touch :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I don't see why this was put in the CoD 4 forum. This thread should have been started in the games forum, then there would be a more reprisentative view point, as most of those that did not like the game are unlikely to frequent this forum.

I don't see why this was put in the CoD 4 forum. This thread should have been started in the games forum, then there would be a more reprisentative view point, as most of those that did not like the game are unlikely to frequent this forum.
    You're welcome to create the same thread under the games forum Christophicus.

I moderate this forum and wanted to know what people who frequent the Call of Duty forum thought as they more than likely would have played the previous installments of the game franchise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Ludo wrote: »

Graphics are excellent (even on my laptop) and the environment is fantastic in general.
    I played the game through at 800 x 600 not realising I forgot to press apply and never noticed the graphic where only running at half what they could be.

Ludo wrote: »
    Finally...gamemodes...NO CTF!!!!!!
    Whats that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

Played this on my 8800gtx

Best game ive played yet... absolutly realistic

ScumLord wrote: »
    Whats that?
    Sarcasm?

Anyway, CTF = Capture The Flag

Played this on my 8800gtx

Best game ive played yet... absolutly realistic
    I'm going to buy the game this evening or tomorrow cos I'm building my new PC this week-end (Q6600 and all that!). I only have a 7800GTX but my brand new XFX Alpha Dog Nvidia 8800GT Extreme Version is on its way! :D

Can's wait!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

There is a mode called Sabotage, which is similar to CTF. Each team has 1 bombsite, bomb spawns in the middle of the map and the first team to reach the bomb and plant it at the enemy site wins.

• Advertisement

Well after finishing CoD tonight, I'm not sure whether it deserves the 9 I gave it initially.

The utterly stupid respawning takes away from the enjoyment of some of the levels namely 'one shot, one kill' & 'heat' [i think
    running to make the chopper
    ]

It made the game unnecessarily frustrating :mad:

What CoD4 did, it did very very well tho but I can't see much replay value of those particular levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

KamiKazi wrote: »
    There is a mode called Sabotage, which is similar to CTF. Each team has 1 bombsite, bomb spawns in the middle of the map and the first team to reach the bomb and plant it at the enemy site wins.

Nah...don't think Sabotage is anything like CTF. To me it is more like s+d on speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

well i finaly got it working on Multi player , im used to Bf games , the Games are very fast , i find the maps a little to small , but apart from that i enjoyed it , once i got used to the game and getting killed every second ,you learn how not to die and so on im still a little lost on what is best to make in char wise , but at the moment i did find the MP5 is a rocking gun taking out people fast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Dcully wrote: »
    Since most who play the game anyway regularly are lvl 55 stat whoring is not an issue.

And what about somebody buying the game for christmas? How are they going to feel coming up against a bunch of lvl 55's as a lowly level 1?
    Call me old fashioned but i preferred online MP games where everyone was on a level playing field and the only thing that made one person better than the other was pure skill, not a special unlocked weapon the other guy doesnt have yet.
    From what i have played of all the cod games, i still think the series peaked with united offensive, for MP and SP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Not crazy about the single player. The plane and helicopter sections were excellent - better than i've seen in an fps before, and a very enjoyable change of pace. Feels very cinematic in places, at the expense of being very linear and trigger driven. By that I mean that there are lots of streets where the mission just throws an endless stream of enemies at you until you move up to an arbitrary point, after which they stop - no real tactics, just take cover and shoot. Does what it sets out to do pretty well, so 7/10. Can't comment on the multiplayer, havent's gotten around to it.

And what about somebody buying the game for christmas? How are they going to feel coming up against a bunch of lvl 55's as a lowly level 1?

Well considering the default weapons at lvl 1 are as good as lvl 55 weapons i still dont see it as a problem.

I take your point about a level playing field but this isnt like BF2 where BF2 default weapons are inferior to high lvl weapons.
    Get yourself the bog standard M16 and your sorted,after a map or two you get the red dot scope,trust me you dont need anything else.
    Add to that its so easy to hit lvl 55 theres little point even having a levelling process.

I use and know many who use the default weapons more than any higher lvl weapon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭hottstuff

One of the best games i've played this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

Top drawer stuff, most cinematic gaming experience i've ever had and it's amazing in HD and 5.1 digital surround.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Dcully wrote: »
    Well considering the default weapons at lvl 1 are as good as lvl 55 weapons i still dont see it as a problem.

I take your point about a level playing field but this isnt like BF2 where BF2 default weapons are inferior to high lvl weapons.
    Get yourself the bog standard M16 and your sorted,after a map or two you get the red dot scope,trust me you dont need anything else.
    Add to that its so easy to hit lvl 55 theres little point even having a levelling process.

I use and know many who use the default weapons more than any higher lvl weapon.

Theres a way of giving a new character Lev 55 without having to level up. Google it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Sweet jesus i need to ly down that was intense and to think it was only the demo! Cant wait for the full game come Christmas. Only problem i have with the game is the absolute nade fest by bots it annoys the hell out of me but i know the purpose of it is to keep you moving but does every nade need to be exactly 2mm beside you?

• Advertisement
Advertisement