Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rate Call of Duty 4!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

It's a good game,

Was very fun for a short period but got boring real fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

Single player was fun, but ofc with the scripting you are hardly going to replay that often.
    I bought if for the multiplayer. I'm only judging the multiplayer because the sp was fun for a while and thats all you can expect.
    I gave it 7, for a couple of reasons.

1. Most of the weapon's sounds are really puny, the ak should be heard from one end of the map to the other and be destinctive, like the real thing.
    2. The maps are tiny. Mostly 3 streets with a bit of an open area, some buildings. Really, really poor. I don't know if custom maps will happen, especially with the problem of server ranking. You can have a server with 50 people, why the hell not make a map for 50 people and maybe challenge bf2 and quake wars, with larger scale battles. Putting in 4/5 large maps would have satisfied so many more players.
    3. Also a more specific gripe. I was playing against this guy with juggernaut perk. He used the mp5. Whenever I met him in close range he did the same thing over and over. He would jump across my screen while shooting the mp5 off the hip. This was successful far too often. After a few times, I asked him did he have the perk that lets you fire more accurately off the hip, and he didn't. It seems the mp5 is rediculously accurate while jumping. In a game with a reasonable amount of realism it was frustrating that a guy can top a server for 4maps because his first reaction at close range is to jump. I don't know if this tactic works with other weapons.
    4. Having to wait till the end of the round and only getting a few seconds to change weapons loadouts. Or having to disconnect from the server to do it.

These flaws have not put me off the game, they are just what I would have needed addressed to give it a 10/10.
    Despite these annoying flaws, I am still very pleased with the game and prefer it to crysis. Best game I have played this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Its a very good game. But its not simulation like OFP or similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I am considering getting it but fear the oul PC is too underpowered. It has a 3.09Ghz Pentium 4, 512 MB ram and the crappy geforce fx 5200 graphics card. Does anyone know if it will work on such a machine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I am considering getting it but fear the oul PC is too underpowered. It has a 3.09Ghz Pentium 4, 512 MB ram and the crappy geforce fx 5200 graphics card. Does anyone know if it will work on such a machine?

It may do but try the demo to get a better idea on if its playable to be sure. I think that there is a web site that can check your current specs though I can't remember the url. A buddy of mine is running it on a Athlon 64 3000+ with 512mb Ram and a ATI 9800 Pro 128MB. :eek: He tells me he is anyway although I haven't seen him on a server yet. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ruffty^ wrote: »
    1. Most of the weapon's sounds are really puny, the ak should be heard from one end of the map to the other and be destinctive, like the real thing.

Have you ever heard a ak fire? Does it really matter that in making a game good you need the sound in perfect tandem to real life. The sounds seem to have been done, not for realism but for being able to distinctly recognize them when a few people are firing.
    2. The maps are tiny. Mostly 3 streets with a bit of an open area, some buildings. Really, really poor. I don't know if custom maps will happen, especially with the problem of server ranking. You can have a server with 50 people, why the hell not make a map for 50 people and maybe challenge bf2 and quake wars, with larger scale battles. Putting in 4/5 large maps would have satisfied so many more players.

COD4 was designed for two 6 man teams. If you don't like the map size, stop playing in 20+player servers.
    3. Also a more specific gripe. I was playing against this guy with juggernaut perk. He used the mp5. Whenever I met him in close range he did the same thing over and over. He would jump across my screen while shooting the mp5 off the hip. This was successful far too often. After a few times, I asked him did he have the perk that lets you fire more accurately off the hip, and he didn't. It seems the mp5 is rediculously accurate while jumping. In a game with a reasonable amount of realism it was frustrating that a guy can top a server for 4maps because his first reaction at close range is to jump. I don't know if this tactic works with other weapons.

Try aiming upwards when he jumps.
    4. Having to wait till the end of the round and only getting a few seconds to change weapons loadouts. Or having to disconnect from the server to do it.

I think its a great idea, forcing you to think about specific weapon loadouts for specific jobs. Where exactly is the problem with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

Yes I have heard the sound of the weapon that has killed the most people in our history.
    Putting in 4/5 large maps would have satisfied so many more players.

You are not one of those players, good for you. Try looking at your server browser, you should see there are quite alot of 20+player servers, or maybe you have them filtered out. :rolleyes:
    krazy_8s wrote: »
    Try aiming upwards when he jumps.

So you are happy with people jumping around and shooting, I think you would find most people are not, as it makes no sense.
    krazy_8s wrote: »
    I think its a great idea, forcing you to think about specific weapon loadouts for specific jobs. Where exactly is the problem with that?

My problem is waiting. I would like to be able to choose more than 5 guns when I have unlocked so many, without waiting until the end of a round or having to disconnect.
    These flaws have not put me off the game, they are just what I would have needed addressed to give it a 10/10.

These are my opinions, if you don't like them thats fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Love the game, love the weapons. I don't mind about the puny weapon sounds because it means I don't have to reach for the volume nob constantly trying to get the balance right between hearing footsteps and sounds around.

After 2000 headshots you unlock a wife and child so you can go home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

bus77 wrote: »
    Love the game, love the weapons. I don't mind about the puny weapon sounds because it means I don't have to reach for the volume nob constantly trying to get the balance right between hearing footsteps and sounds around.

After 2000 headshots you unlock a wife and child so you can go home.

lmfao

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

Right , I am off to bed and it is downloading through steam , so maybe tomorrow I can come back and say if the rating I gave it was right or wrong :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

9/10

Loses one point because of short story - although it makes up for it with the challenges imo. Love the online play too except some people can be assholes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

great game, with some excellent intense levels, I love timed levels which force you to push forward faster than you're used to
    my god did those blast doors open slow :D
    . Played through it first on Hardened, will be trying it again on Vet. Anyone complaining about the levels being too hard needs to man up and stop getting pwnd by AI, cause that's just sad ;)

Best game i've played in a long while, sure it was short, but they packed a lot more story and action in those few hours than a lot of other games i've played that run twice as long.

I still haven't managed to play the single player ....can't get offline long enough to even consider it .

Loving the online part though , only thing is my shoulders are starting to go again , more cortisone needed stat !

jonski wrote: »
    I....Loving the online part though , only thing is my shoulders are starting to go again , more cortisone needed stat !

Dang same here! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Good game , very good multiplayer.

Any irish servers on the MP option that we could form a clan on.

• Advertisement

How do you go to a specific server? I see people giving out IP addresses where do you input this?

Your multiplayer options allow you to search for IP address's.

pirelli wrote: »
    Your multiplayer options allow you to search for IP address's.

Doh! Ok I'll have to try some.

BostonB wrote: »
    Doh! Ok I'll have to try some.

What server do you usually utilise. I play smart anarchy and domination mixed format game is the most fun.

Generally just pick one out of the list that has 10~20 players don't really mind which game type tbh. HQ is good. I seem to have problems with lag, so maps and games which need a sniper rifle I don't like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Its an alright game I gave it a 7 . I can see myself getting bored of it soon enough.

BostonB wrote: »
    How do you go to a specific server? I see people giving out IP addresses where do you input this?

Filter server search by "favourites" and then click "add new favourite" , you can input the ip there .

The G36 assault gun is I think gives the best performance with a red dot sight especially factoring in range. It is extremely accurate compared to say the P90 machine gun because i find you have to unload almost a magazine into the enemy before they die. Unlike the M14 where it kill's after one/two shots.The last gun on the list of asssualt weapons the m44 (I think its m44?) might be a good weapon, I havent got a red dot sight for it but as it has such long range it might be the most effective killer.

what is the best Kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I gave it an 8. Its excellent online, but oh dear is single player very poor. Its linear and i feel like im fighting respawn after respawn. The sniper level sumed the game up for me single player wise, huge potential but poor ai and fighting respawn after respawn (who do exactly the same thing as the ai they replaced :rolleyes:)

Benzino wrote: »
    I gave it an 8. Its excellent online, but oh dear is single player very poor. Its linear and i feel like im fighting respawn after respawn. The sniper level sumed the game up for me single player wise, huge potential but poor ai and fighting respawn after respawn (who do exactly the same thing as the ai they replaced :rolleyes:)

True. Its a game not a simulation like Armed Assault/Operation Flashpoint. Fun though, but the spawning really drags.
    pirelli wrote: »
    The G36 assault gun is I think gives the best performance with a red dot sight especially factoring in range. It is extremely accurate compared to say the P90 machine gun because i find you have to unload almost a magazine into the enemy before they die. Unlike the M14 where it kill's after one/two shots.The last gun on the list of asssualt weapons the m44 (I think its m44?) might be a good weapon, I havent got a red dot sight for it but as it has such long range it might be the most effective killer...

I find the M4 Carbine, G36, and MP5 the best compromise. Once you've a few mods, like red dot sight, faster reloading, faster rate of fire they are deadly and decent range. I like the same mods with the heavy machine guns. The longer ranged stuff doesn't work for me because of lag. M14 is ok depending on level. Actually I have my different class'ed set up around each game type. As a different levels, games really need a different load out. I find The P90 is handy to replace pistol, and when you pick one up on a level its usually modded. Though the standard pistols are very useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

M4 and Desert Eagle FTW! :D

I use that combo for every map and every gametype. Too lazy to mess around with diiferent classes... :rolleyes:

Advertisement