Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monthly bus passes?

Options
  • 28-11-2007 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, got a question for anyone who might know the answer. How much does a monthly bus pass (for Galway City buses) cost, and is there a discount for NUIG student card holders?

I'm guessing that these passes are purchased in Ceannt Station?

And, just to vent, I'd like to say that it's a disgrace that a €1.35 bus ticket is only valid until you get off the bus. Are we the only country in Europe not to use a 'valid for 90 minutes' system?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Don't know about monthly tickets. I usually get a student 10 journey [5 return trips]. No hassle about ID either -- I think the bag and rough look gives it all away :rolleyes:

Have a look at buseireann.ie and try buying online to see what options you're given.

You'll have to explain to this not-so-well-travelled yob about the 90 minute system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I tried to get a monthlu pass for the Citydirect bus.

They dont offer it

dammit
    its expensive are these buses

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Buses are only for spasticks and students.

Unfortunately I'm a student...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

ethernet wrote:
    Have a look at buseireann.ie and try buying online to see what options you're given.
    Tried that, but there doesn't seem to be anything for city services.
    ethernet wrote:
    You'll have to explain to this not-so-well-travelled yob about the 90 minute system.

You buy a bus ticket and that ticket is good for 90 minutes. So if you want to head into town for a short period, you could use the same ticket to get back out again if you're within the 90 minute timeframe. Not the case in this country though. :/

Every Thursday, I head into town on the 9 bus. I have to make a stop at Duggan's post office (which takes only 10 minutes). So, I pay a full fare (half-fares would be nice too) €1.35 which is good for all the way into town. Get off at Duggan's, do my business and wait for the next 9 bus into town, on which I have to pay another full fare to go the rest of the way into town.

I see people getting on the bus and waving their laminates at the driver (no, they're not all OAPs or people with some disability or other).

I guess I'll ask the driver tomorrow or nip into Ceannt Station and enquire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

on buses from Knocknacarra to Renmore before the drivers have told me to hold onto my ticket when getting off in Eyre square that they'll accept it when i get on the next bus. unfortunately i keep forgetting to do this...

but still, a driver actually told me i could use the same ticket for two trips. you aren't even using two lines. ask the drivers, i know they aren't the friendliest of people at times but they certainly aren't pricks. i'd be surprised if they didn't accept it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I used to be able to get a weekly pass from Ceannt Station when i was a student a few years ago. Think it was under a tenner at the time but that would probably mena it could be around the €20 mark now!!!!

The best thing to do is go into the station and ask them about it. I think there was a monthly one available then aswell.

Got a monthly pass this morning. Available in Ceannt Station. €49 for Adults. €41.50 for students. (monthly) Very good value, by my reckoning.

Thanks for the input guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Does that apply to citydirect?

It didn't cross my mind to ask them when I bought it, as I don't use City Direct. I'll find out if/when I try it. Your best bet is to ask them in the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

....49 Euro for an adult....40 Euro for a student?...that's not good value at all ! How are we supposed to get people out of their cars for those high prices?

I used to live in France...my monthly bus & Tram ticket was only 30 Euro for students. That was only 1 Euro a day for unlimited public transport....and i used it too. Ok that was about 4 years ago but i'd imagine its still pretty cheap.

I now live in Seoul. It only costs just over 1 Euro to travel from one end of the city to the other (a journey of about 20km)....that's like travelling from Spiddal to Athenry for 1 Euro. Now thats the price public transport should be.

When i'm in galway, i cycle. Feck Bus Eireann...i gave up on them years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

I tried to get a monthlu pass for the Citydirect bus.

They dont offer it

dammit
    its expensive are these buses
    They also don't give change or receipts, according to the wife, for which I'll be filing a complaint with the Director for Consumer Affairs as soon as I can be bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Shinto wrote: »
    ....49 Euro for an adult....40 Euro for a student?...that's not good value at all ! How are we supposed to get people out of their cars for those high prices?

it used be as well that bus passes were for one route only. is that still the case?

Shinto wrote: »

For anyone using the bus twice a day, it's a more economical option, but I agree it could be better value.

I don't think the high prices are deterring people from using the bus in galway though. I only encounter one bus lane in my commuting and it's a joke. The buses sit in traffic every bit as much as the single-occupant cars do.

It used be as well that bus passes were for one route only. is that still the case?

Commuter Services
    Commuter Tickets issued in Cork, Galway, Limerick and Waterford are valid only in the city in which they are issued.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement