Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to clone DVD made on my HDD

• 28-11-2007 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I created a DVD made up of old family movies. Created on my Magnavox HDD recorder.
    I want to make some back up copies of the DVDs on my PC.
    Tried drag and drop and got read errors.
    Then, tried Roxio Creator to make copy but also got errors.
    Recently, used DVD decryptor SW from net but bombed out after 91% completion.
    Any ideas how to make 100% copy/clone of DVD?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Try DVDshrink

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Idunno

Thanks for suggestion. Unfortunately no joy.
    Shrink V3.2 gave me error "Invalid DVD navigation structure"
    I guess the format the HDD gave to the DVD is not compliant with standard convention?

If you explore the disc that the magnavox created, on a computer, what files make up the DVD. Is there a Video_TS & Audio_TS folder? Or is there a single file?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Idunno

There are two folders. #1 is Video_TS but #2 is Video_RM (contains 3 files: Video RM.dat (=1MB) , .BUP (=32KB) & .IFO(=32KB)).

Ok. A couple of ideas.
    1. Try copying the Video_TS folder to PC and burning it to DVD
    2. View the Video_TS folder by file size. One file should be way bigger then the others. Rename the file extension from .vob to .mpg. Now use a DVD burning progrsm to burn this mpg file to DVD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ringleader

When making a DVD from a DVD recorder, remember to finalise the disc or it will give you read and write errors when you look at the DVD on anything other than the recorder you used.

The proper structure of a DVD file is as follows:

Two folders: AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS

Inside the VIDEO_TS folder you should have the following file types: .VOB (video objects), .IFO (information), and .BUP (Backup)

A VOB contains several streams multiplexed together: Video, Audio and Subtitles.

IFO Files give the player important navigational information, like where a chapter starts, where a certain audio or subtitle stream is located, etc.

BUP files are just backup files off the IFOs, and are not encrypted.

================

In your case, the VIDEO_RM is a legacy folder that is only referenced by the HDD recorder and is specific to Phillips brand and its knockoffs (which you evidentally have).

It's useless, and will not be recognised by the majority of DVD reauthoring software programs.

Instead of burning a DVD straight from what you've got, you will need to re-build it in the proper format.

Simple fixes include loading the DVD in File mode on certain DVD re-authoring programs (e.g. Nero Vision - here's a similar guide of what you'd be doing) and deleting anything associated with the Video_RM folder, then compiling a new, clean ISO.

Then simply burn the ISO to a disc, et voilá.

It's a pain, but you'll be a freaking expert on DVD-authoring by the end if you spend the time sifting through everything and experimenting ;)

Advertisement