Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is netsoc dead?

Options
  • 28-11-2007 8:22pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

Just wondering seen as their main webpage's been down for a few days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Their server is currently resident in the Forum Office:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

they gave up early during freshers week

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

How'd their server make it up there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

yea the mountaineering club message board was on their server, it died about a month ago on us.
    it was always rubbish though, so we're not too upset!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

They could have given some warning.

A pity the society died, their services were great value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Their heyday was really back when they were providing internet access to students... Hard to imagine no wireless and no access in the labs now. Used to be a big queue to get a netsoc account. Once the college was doing it faster and for no extra cost, there wasn't really any reason for them to exist any more.

their hosting was fantastic

They seemed to lose their focus on that and I think that's where it became the beginning of the end. Plenty of people signed up for the FTP space and web hosting, but they seemed hell bent on 'breaking' the infrastructure in place and worrying about being a 'traditional society'.

What is going to become of their equipment? Could it be resurrected?

First thing would be to find the crowd supposedly in charge this year, or failing that whoever was in charge last year.

Find out their intentions.

If they've thrown in the towel, speak to Butler about ressurecting it.

Personally, I wouldnt have anywhere near the expertise needed to fix/maintain their services, I just enjoyed using them :)

But if there were some way I could be of assistance to anyone who did want to ressurect this society please let me know. I want my FTP space back ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Miocko

I am a former auditor...back in the long queue days...
    I would love to see it back on its feet...even if it was only going to be a tiny little society

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Johannyogibear

netsoc has been resurrected and is now accessible at http://hespera.ucd.ie/ , netsoc.com.They had a lot of server problems. I know the lads are working hard to get everything back up and running to the way it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

That's quite encouraging... I noticed the posters around campus for the LAN during the week, unfortunately couldn't make it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Great to see you;re back on your feet, though honestly I'd be much more enthusiastic for ye to get things like the web hosting and shells going, more so than LAN parties. Especially since those are technically the purview of the Games Society.

Raphael wrote: »
    Great to see you;re back on your feet, though honestly I'd be much more enthusiastic for ye to get things like the web hosting and shells going, more so than LAN parties. Especially since those are technically the purview of the Games Society.

Seconded - most of the people I knew who had netsoc memberships wanted to use the web space. Period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Miocko

Hey Betafrog...
    that is great to hear!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

I'd like to email netsoc, but I can't find an email address on that site.

Nice site!

Thing is, I'd like to ask some advice - as a postgrad myself, I'm currently setting up a postgraduate blog for one of the departments, and I'm using wordpress - just like netsoc.

I don't know how to enable php or mysql on the site I've been given in order to do it. It's on ucd.ie.

If anyone from netsoc could offer some advice, that'd be great.

Does anyone have an email address?
    Or some straight up advice?

Unfortunately UCD being UCD don't offer PHP or MySQL on the web server. Best way is probably to get an unused PC and register it as a server, just stick it under a desk or somewhere out of the way to keep people from messing with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Do I need an account to get online in College? I have a wireless enabled laptop, how would I get onto the wireless in Quinn Building, I am thinking of doing quite a bit of knocking around UCD as I prepare for my Law Soc exams. Thats Law Society of Ireland, not some freshers day ****e. :)

I am a past student, btw, not some welscher in off the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I suppose you could use the wifi, but as to where you could study, as a non-student you're options are limited. You'd need to become a paid member of the library

Sean_K wrote: »
    I suppose you could use the wifi, but as to where you could study, as a non-student you're options are limited. You'd need to become a paid member of the library

Oh I have that worked out already, as an Alumnus member, you get a card and all that.

How does the WiFi work in College??

• Advertisement

It's an open public network, just connect.

Pretty much all ports are blocked however so you'll just be surfin the net. No torrents or anything.

It's an open public network, just connect.

Pretty much all ports are blocked however so you'll just be surfin the net. No torrents or anything.

No Limey, no???

Youtube even??

Ah well.

Cheers.

Yea Youtube no bother.

Yea Youtube no bother.

Sounds decent. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Ports 1 and 8484 are open.

You can use your email and surf the net.

No websites are blocked in UCD - well if they are I've yet to find them.

By 8484 I think she means you have to go through the college proxy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Thanks red - translation is always appreciated. :)

If there is public wifi, what difference does it make about Netsoc?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭Charlie

Anyone ever have any joy getting a non-laptop device to connect to the wifi. I can never get my Nokia E65 to connect or psp, even to just surf the web, but my laptop does it grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I got a PC to connect to the wifi, but I doubt that's what you mean...

Advertisement