Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi charges?

Options
  • 28-11-2007 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Can anybody tell me what the extra fare should be when you get into a taxi? You know on the meter, the lttle display BELOW where your fare is, what should that say? I've been seing 2, 3 and 4 euros in different cars, anyone know the deal? And what is the charge for? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Can anybody tell me what the extra fare should be when you get into a taxi? You know on the meter, the lttle display BELOW where your fare is, what should that say? I've been seing 2, 3 and 4 euros in different cars, anyone know the deal? And what is the charge for? Thanks in advance.
    Why dont you ask the taxi driver.Thats your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

drdre wrote: »
    Why dont you ask the taxi driver.Thats your best bet.

I did. One told me two euro is max they're allowed to put, two others told me it's three when its a phone booking and one said three or four depending on distance travelled to collect fare. So you can understand my confusion. :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

you could do a web search, from taxireg.ie:

extras:

Booking charge
    When a taxi is booked by telephone, email, fax, text, (or any method other than by hailing in the street or engaging at a taxi rank), taxi drivers will be permitted to charge a maximum of €2.00 for such journeys. This charge will not apply to taxis hailed on the street or engaged at taxi ranks or at transport terminals.

Extra passenger charge
    An additional charge of €1.00 may be charged by taxi drivers for each additional passenger. Two children under twelve will be charged as one adult. Note that if there is only a single child in the vehicle under the age of 12 years they are deemed to be the hirer. Extra children under 12: 1 free, 2nd or 3rd €1.00; 4th or 5th € 2.00; 6th or 7th €3.00 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

That's great thank you, clear as a bell. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It depends on

1. Time

2. Number of passengers

3. Whether it's booked or not.

• Advertisement

It depends on

1. Time

2. Number of passengers

3. Whether it's booked or not.

doesn't depend on time anymore, that is factored into the price per mile.

copacetic wrote: »
    doesn't depend on time anymore
    I didn't mean the journey time but the time the taxi is required i.e. day or night - €3.80/€4.20 initial fare.

I didn't mean the journey time but the time the taxi is required i.e. day or night - €3.80/€4.20 initial fare.

ah ok, but that is not an extra. i.e it isn't on the second screen the op was talking about.

copacetic wrote: »
    ah ok, but that is not an extra
    Yes, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

The ONLY extras that a driver should add to the metered fare are for extra passengers above the intial hirer and a booking fee ( if applicable ) I'm amazed that this fare structure has been in since September last year and people STILL don't know it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I did. One told me two euro is max they're allowed to put, two others told me it's three when its a phone booking and one said three or four depending on distance travelled to collect fare. So you can understand my confusion. :rolleyes:
    Ah now i understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Spook_ie wrote: »
    The ONLY extras that a driver should add to the metered fare are for extra passengers above the intial hirer and a booking fee ( if applicable ) I'm amazed that this fare structure has been in since September last year and people STILL don't know it

Well in fairness some people would only get a taxi once in a blue moon.

MOH wrote: »
    Well in fairness some people would only get a taxi once in a blue moon.

And just how much does the regulator spend on their advertising campaigns, if people haven't heard the message then I would suggest someone should tell the TR to get a new advertising consultant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

I'm amazed that this fare structure has been in since September last year and people STILL don't know it
    And just how much does the regulator spend on their advertising campaigns, if people haven't heard the message then I would suggest someone should tell the TR to get a new advertising consultant.

Wow a bitter taxi driver theres a suprise :rolleyes:

Why would the taxi regulator spend money on a new advertising campaign the prices are there in front of you when you get into the cab? The only reason for the first one was to let people know the fare structure was changing i would imagne... You'd probablly still find a reason to moan about it anyway even if they did...

Wow a bitter taxi driver theres a suprise :rolleyes:

Why would the taxi regulator spend money on a new advertising campaign the prices are there in front of you when you get into the cab? The only reason for the first one was to let people know the fare structure was changing i would imagne... You'd probablly still find a reason to moan about it anyway even if they did...

May come over as bitterness but in reality it's just sheer exasperation at how many times this question gets asked. Maybe it should be compulsary for ALL Irish Boards and Government Web Sites to link to the fares

Fares For Irish Taxis

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Or we could have consistent taxi drivers. Or maybe have a TaxiDriver course in how to deal with the public, how to help the public, how to knock at the door rather than blare their horn, how to be not so opinionated...

Strangely there are a lot of broken printers out there even though they are supposed to issue a printed receipt.

parsi wrote: »
    Or we could have consistent taxi drivers. Or maybe have a TaxiDriver course in how to deal with the public, how to help the public, how to knock at the door rather than blare their horn, how to be not so opinionated...

Strangely there are a lot of broken printers out there even though they are supposed to issue a printed receipt.

And if you don't report them they will stay broken.....

And you could also envisage a training course to teach some people politness when using public transport

Its NOT a one way street

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Maybe. But as a customers we're paying for a driving service not to listen to racist self-important opinionated rants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭cudman

As far as I know all taxis are obliged by law to display a list of all charges in the car. most put them on the dash in front of the passenger seat.

Advertisement