Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

power steering quickie!

Options
  • 28-11-2007 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

00 1.4 golf - would normal atf do or do i need vw approved power steering fluid??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭blackbox

Your manual should give you a specification number for the ATF. If you buy some that meets that specification and is a reputable brand it will be as suitable as the VW brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

blackbox wrote: »
    Your manual should give you a specification number for the ATF. If you buy some that meets that specification and is a reputable brand it will be as suitable as the VW brand.

Do NOT use ATF in a VW or it will just p1ss out of the seals in the steering rack and may leave you needing a new rack.

Go to your local VW/Audi dealer and ask for power steering fluid. Part no. G 002 000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Try your local motor factor for the same spec stuff, most of the good ones carry the OE spec fluids, probably not cheap but at least you won't risk having your innards totally torn out as VAG dealers are renown for. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

thanks for the replies, just read the message now (email notifications turned off?!?!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

crosstownk wrote: »
    Do NOT use ATF in a VW or it will just p1ss out of the seals in the steering rack and may leave you needing a new rack.

Go to your local VW/Audi dealer and ask for power steering fluid. Part no. G 002 000.

Hmm .. If he needs to top up the Fluid then its more than likely its leaking into the boots already.

Same spec oil is fine .. As long as its the same spec the brand does not matter.

• Advertisement

craichoe wrote: »

Same spec oil is fine .. As long as its the same spec the brand does not matter.

True - same spec will do - IF you can be sure that it is the same spec. I've seen many a knackered rack because of this simple mistake. Unless the people you buy the fluid from are fully aware of the fact that VW PAS fluid is different to what most other cars use, then I'd recommending buying from a main stealer just for peace of mind.

However, I'd imagine the people at German & Swedish, and those at Otto would be well aware of what is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

True - same spec will do - IF you can be sure that it is the same spec. I've seen many a knackered rack because of this simple mistake. Unless the people you buy the fluid from are fully aware of the fact that VW PAS fluid is different to what most other cars use, then I'd recommending buying from a main stealer just for peace of mind.

However, I'd imagine the people at German & Swedish, and those at Otto would be well aware of what is required.

Aye,

Its a common weakness though on the 99 - 04 VAG Cars. I had to replace the rack on my 00 Octavia :(

then I'd recommending buying from a main stealer just for peace of mind.

The friend (lad who burst ps pipe and asked me to change it) went to the main dealer today - they said to use atf, it'll be fine! WTF?!
    I told him to go to the motor factors to get some fluid but I haven't heard back from him since!

land9 wrote: »
    The friend (lad who burst ps pipe and asked me to change it) went to the main dealer today - they said to use atf, it'll be fine! WTF?!

It begs the question - how well trained/informed are the staff in main dealers these days?

Either that or they just want you to break it - get you back in to take more money off you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

jesus don't piut ATFfluid near it and never trust a parts man!

By any chance does he have big alloy wheels on this golf?

Haha, he does - 17" alloys that have the front wing liners destroyed! I told him to go smaller, if even for tyre cost but he hasn't taken my advice yet.

He's gonna order some of the ps fluid in the vw dealership tomorrow, motor factors were useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

knew it and im figuring the are maybe a poor quality replica of one the Audi RS wheels maybe?

These heavy replica wheels will drink power steering fluid and eventually wear the whole system out.

Advertisement