Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar Tunning

• 28-11-2007 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hey i am learning wild side by motley crue for my band and the tuning for the song says to tune down a full step iv tried usin a tuner but i cant get them to sound right . How do i tune down a full step is it just one full turn of the machine head or what?

Advice appriciated Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

you can't tune a guitar in terms of "turns of the machine head" as every guitar is different. a full step is also known as a tone. you're basically tuning down by two frets.

easiest way to do it: learn to do it through ear. tune both the E strings down to D using the D string for camparison. then tune the rest of the strings as you would to the E strings by ear.

note: it's quite possible you're guitar will never sound perfectly in tune when the tunings have been altered, and this applies to cheap guitars in particular. some of them are just poor quality and don't respond to the change in tension as they should and can sound odd, particularly on certain chord voicings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

You only need to tune down if you want to play along with the CD, if you are playing on your own or with a band it's not necessary. That's assuming you are tuning down the whole 6 strings, not just the E?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

Yeah but in a band situation the singer will then have to sing a full tone higher, because the higher string pitch will mean a higher key. Best to tune down in the way leninbenjamin mentioned above. Also heavy strings might be a good idea, 11s or 12s will work better when you're tuned that low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

jus tune to Eb for a happy medium :)

a lot of people and bands do it

Advertisement