Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs

Options
  • 28-11-2007 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

My Uncle ordered a few things from america total came to 200euro incl shipping for them, he received them via dhl and a week later dhl sent him a invoice for customs for 80 euro 80 euro seems a hell of alot for something that cost 200 euro.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Does the bill have any details on it? As far as I know, the charges are customs (variable but is usually around 5%), VAT at 21% and then an administrative charge of up to €15.

For €200 this would be €10 for customs, €44.10 VAT and even €15 on this would make €69.10. Seems they're charging even more than this.

If the details aren't on the bill, ring and ask for a breakdown as you are entitled to know what you're paying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

He got charged 21% vat but got charged 12% on the goods. Its from Dhl what would happen if he ignored it>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

They have a ridiculous policy of charging outrageous fees. I ignored a UPS one before and got a solicitors letter for my troubles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Depending on the item the duty rate can be up to 13.5% so €80 sounds like it could be right. What does it say on the invoice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Its from Dhl what would happen if he ignored it>

First will come solicitors letter, then a court summons. DHL won't let this go, so there's no choice but to pay up. They have already declared it to customs and paid the duty and VAT on your uncle's behalf. He now owes them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

This happened to me also with DHL, thing was I had only ordered $90 worth off stuff and I was charge nearly €40 so I see what you mean it doesn't seem worth it, but I'd pay up, they actually demanded cash on delivery from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

just to recap, im planning on buying some electronic equipment from the states, price including delivery with ups is $1119. So will the above rates mentioned still apply? (customs usually around 5%), VAT at 21% and then an administrative charge of up to €15?
    This works out at 1424 dollars or about 970 euro. To order the same equipment from the uk will set me back 1400 euro, so if my maths is close enough il still save a bit.
    Tried to ring UPS today but the relevant department was closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭cudman

I thought there was a limit of around €159 duty free that people are allowed to bring in, so surely the tax should only be on the figure above that amount

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

cudman wrote: »
    I thought there was a limit of around €159 duty free that people are allowed to bring in, so surely the tax should only be on the figure above that amount

Thats for bringing in yourself. If getting things posted from outside the EU the limit is ~€25. And since when has a tax been applied fairly in this country, just look at stamp duty.

Advertisement