Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I got TRICKED on www.buyandsell.ie

Options
  • 28-11-2007 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi all,

I ordered a second-hand laptop from someone in Newry. I made a deposit on that person's bank account and never received the laptop although I was told she would send it by registered post upon receiving the money on her account. This was 3 weeks ago. The person claimed at that time she was moving to the US and since then I can't get through the phone. I only have her phone number and the bank details. My money is obviously on her account. Is there anything I can do in this matter? Could you help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Nothing you can do, bar be more careful. Consumer law doesn't cover private sales, and I doubt the Gardai will bother as they have more important things to do. Just live and learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

you could sue I suppose. If you live near Newry, you could try and find the person...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

NEVER pay for anything with a bank transfer or moneygram unless you know the person involved it's way too risky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

eamon234 wrote: »
    NEVER pay for anything with a bank transfer or moneygram unless you know the person involved it's way too risky.
    This isn't always true. It depends on the value of the item and how much contact you've had with the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭radooo

No, I am actually based in Dublin. I have reported it to Garda but still very little chance they would do something about it. Is it worth trying to talk to the bank in which I made a deposit onto a seller's account? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Contact the PSNI, it's in their jurisdiction.
    They might be more willing to help than the Gardaí

Doesn't PSNI cover issues in Northern Ireland only?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

radooo wrote: »
    Doesn't PSNI cover issues in Northern Ireland only?

yes they do and newry is in n.i. where this lady said she lives. if it is a scam they would have to investigate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

No, I am actually based in Dublin. I have reported it to Garda but still very little chance they would do something about it. Is it worth trying to talk to the bank in which I made a deposit onto a seller's account? Thanks.

They won't be able to give you any details, or do anything about the money you deposited into the account as it would be illegal for them to do so.

PSNI is probably your best bet.

Was the phone number you had a mobile or landline? If it's mobile, it's probably unregistered so no help there. If she is a career scammer then the bank details could have been set up with stolen identity and she's long gone with your cash.

it was a mobile phone and the account was on her husband's name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ringleader

I am a website admin at BuyandSell.ie

If you want to prosecute the person/pursue them, you can do the following (Data Protection Act means we can't just hand out information like this, obviously):

1. Fill out an Information Request form you can get from us by phoning 0818-434343 (or PM me on here, and I'll get one to post to you)

2. Get the gardaí to sign it and fill in any details you have of the person so we know who to look for - they have to stamp the form as well. Send it to me - again, PM me and I'll give you my direct details.

3. Now you have the information, lawyer up I suppose. Or look to prosecute them. Or something, I dunno - I'm not a lawyer.

Hope that helps you in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mel123

U got scammed, unfortunatly live and learn. Im sorry to say it, but i didnt think people still fell for them kind of scams!! I hope u didnt lose out too much money tho!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

it was a mobile phone and the account was on her husband's name.

I'd read that as mobile=untraceable and husband=patsy. It's likely that even with getting the info from Buyandsell like ringleader says, that it will be fake or stolen identity.

I'm not saying it's not worth pursuing, but it could cost you more than it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ringleader

jor el wrote: »
    It's likely that even with getting the info from Buyandsell like ringleader says, that it will be fake or stolen identity.

Actually, this is exactly why BuyandSell requires a landline phone number from sellers. There's hope of tracing them, but like jor el says it better be worth your effort.

thanks ringleader, i've sent you pm. let me know please.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

Well radooo, a couple of months later how did you get on with your missing cash. Did you have any luck tracking the women down??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

EDIT!!

Old thread

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

since its already dragged up I'd also eb interested to know if the op got anywhere with this :)

Advertisement