Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Present for the bird

Options
  • 28-11-2007 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

was gonna throw this in AH, but since i'm only back from a 1 month ban i thought maybe PI would be a bit of a better bet. Mods please feel free to move as appropriate!

So i've been with her 3 years and this year i'm stumped. She has everything she needs.

Here's my previous thoughts:
    • An American Eagle coat she wanted for a while - she went out and bought an identical one
    • Leather Boots-My taste is *shíte and she'd have to choose them, kinda defeats the purpose of a present
    • Perfume-Once again my taste is *shíte
    • Lingerie-See previous
    • New Mobile-Did this two years ago, and she lost it in 2 weeks, not doing that again

*She's told me her taste is better than mine and she'd prefer to choose these things rather than me because she'd "choose nicer ones".

Now, here's the thing. She's always said she'd like a gecko, in particular, a leopard gecko. The problem is you have to feed them live food such as crickets, roaches, worms and the odd dead baby mouse:eek: I read up on them and they apparently live 25-30 years, once again:eek: Soooo, i was talking to her one day and I said "well, i was looking up on your christmas present and it seems a bit unfeasable" and she asked why and i told her what it was and she said "that'd be fine, i'd feed it that stuff". What my bird says, and what she does are two entirely different things. Also, she's not really the type to remember to feed the poor bugger. So even if I did get it for her, i'd be impressed if it survived longer than the last mobile phone i got her.... Another thing is we were watching tv a few weeks ago and some bloke on corrie (i know, i know) got a pet dog as a present and she was saying it was a shít present because you have to take so much care of it. Then i said "really!?" and she said "well, loike (she's a bit of a d4 when she wants to be), if you, loike got me a lizard or something that'd be okay" and when i told the girls in college this they said to get it for her as she was hinting.

Sooooo, do I get her the gecko and waste a load of money on a dead lizard (lizard, tank, heated rock, "how to keep your gecko alive" book, and all the trimmings including live food cost ~200 quid!!!) or do i revert to the old reliable "i'll take you shopping" doozie?

In the past i've bought her great presents, trip to rome and the like. I don't wanna get a boring one. Apparently she has "loike, a deadly one" for me this year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Moving to gift and party ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

If you really believe in what you say here:
    cunnins4 wrote:
    Sooooo, do I get her the gecko and waste a load of money on a dead lizard

and here
    cunnins4 wrote:
    Also, she's not really the type to remember to feed the poor bugger. So even if I did get it for her, i'd be impressed if it survived longer than the last mobile phone i got her....

Then don't get her one! Don't condeme the poor gecko to a (short) life of hell, bring her on a shoppping trip and let the gecko go to a home where it will live it's 20 years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ask one of her friends what perfume/clothes/blah she likes. They'll know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Get her a bearded dragon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bearded_dragon, they'll eat anything, much easier to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

A gecko is for life, not just for Christmas ... (someone had to say it!)

Agree with Biko ^^ ... in fact, bring said friend shopping with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Get vouchers - everybody loves vouchers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Best bet would be to ask her friends what she likes

My guess would be a gift voucher and perfume/cds/ipod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

dlambirl wrote: »
    Best bet would be to ask her friends what she likes

My guess would be a gift voucher and perfume/cds/ipod

Got her an MP3 player last year. She's also heading to london in 2 weeks to go "shopping" avec mother, where she's "getting perfume, clothes" and a whole load of other garbage. The only dead cert for me to get her is Shrek III an that's the lot.

As for the bearded dragon - she's not "into" them, she just likes geckos. Bloody wimin!

Also, i have to add that it's her birthday 2 weeks after xmas. I thought of combining the two presents into a weekend away or something "but then i wouldn't get anything on my birthday" says she.......maybe i should give her her marching orders for christmas!!! She'd DEFINITELY be suprised then!

Advertisement