Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child found presents!!

Options
  • 28-11-2007 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭

Yes worst nightmare came through last night, The daughter was looking for wool and went into the back bedroom and saw two of her presents in the wardrobe. I used the excuse that I was minding them for my sister as they are presents for her friends!!

DISASTER!!!

SO what is the normal age for them to stop believing??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Mine and 9 and 7 and still believe, being able to show then santa tracking on norad and the sechudled arrival and departure at dublin airpot was a great aid.

Minding presents is a good way to explain that, looks like you will have to find better hiding place like the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

10?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

No earlier than ten from any of the kids I know.

If you going to tell her wait until after xmas don't do it this side of xmas it takes the whole excitement away I still remember when I was told I was gutted!

Would you not bring them back to the shop and exchange them for something else that way she will not question anything on xmas morn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Ah I wont tell her, but I am afraid of what the kids are saying in school, I want her to stay as innocent of this for as long as I can.

She only saw two of the items. She had written her letter and almost had the codes from the argos book written down on it, so I cant really change them.

Her big suprise is not here yet, So I hope that it will all be forgotton about by the time xmas day comes.

My darling husband and I were so upset, which ended up in a blame game argument last night,

If he had of put them up the attic like I asked him................

MEN!!:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Beechman

Quality wrote: »
    Ah I wont tell her, but I am afraid of what the kids are saying in school, I want her to stay as innocent of this for as long as I can.

She only saw two of the items. She had written her letter and almost had the codes from the argos book written down on it, so I cant really change them.

Her big suprise is not here yet, So I hope that it will all be forgotton about by the time xmas day comes.

My darling husband and I were so upset, which ended up in a blame game argument last night,

If he had of put them up the attic like I asked him................

MEN!!:confused::confused::confused:

yes , how wonderful we are !!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

Similar thing happened to us once. I had bought the babies things quite early, as she was not going to be writing a letter, but my young lad found them. He was only 8.5 at the time and no way was I ready for him to find out the true ho ho story.

Like you he had only found a few bits, three if i remember rightly. So I got my mum and my sister to swap what they had got for the baby with me, and santa left their stuff, and they gave her what santa had originally bought for her.

You could ask two of your relatives to do the same, that way she will still get the items she saw, and you will have told the truth in that your minding them for your sister.

Actually worked out great for us, as Santa always wraps the gifts in this house, and these things arrived wraped so we all got a suprise on christmas morning!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive ;)

What about explaining that Santa is really busy this year, so he had to leave some presents with you a month early, because you have a *special relationship* with him?

Should get the kid used to the concept of clientelism at an early age, anyway, which will be useful seeing the way Ireland's going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭lucyburn

luckat wrote: »
    Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive ;)

What about explaining that Santa is really busy this year, so he had to leave some presents with you a month early, because you have a *special relationship* with him?

Should get the kid used to the concept of clientelism at an early age, anyway, which will be useful seeing the way Ireland's going.

You're not going to tell him about the 'birds and the bees' are you?
    10 is much to young for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

Go with the advice of the swap... also minding gift's is the best thing so far. I have my dad take the "ho ho" gifts and keep them somewere safe (i dont even know where he puts them)

christmas eve after mass he drop's them up to me...

I think i was 12 when i found out but i was told when i was 8 by this mean bi£ch... i can still remember it vividly...anyway i got told by santa himself at 8 that that girl was on his naughty list and her parents just told her he wasnt real to make her feel better... but that she'd get a lump of coal from him this year...

parents are great...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

When my kids started to question, probably around 8ish I just told them that when we went to bed there was nothing then when we woke up there was stuff. How else do you explain it?

Worked for a couple of years. But then they never admitted to finding anything.

• Advertisement

I keep telling her that she has to believe in santa as if you dont believe in him your mam and dad have to buy you presents and that I wouldnt be buying her much.

I always use the quote "Santa knows best" as well. So I may do the swap and if she is upset on xmas morning, I will just tell her "Santa Knows Best" and she will be delighted when she gets (Found) Presents off my mam. It was only a doll and a dance mat!!

I cant wait for xmas morning!! My baby is only two, so at least when the elder stops believing we will have him believing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I certainly wouldn't "tell" any kid the truth - they generally figure it out for themselves. If you told them and they hadn't yet realised it themselves, it would be a crushing blow.

wait... are we talking about Santa or the birds and bees here?

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Actually stuck with the same problem myself, AFAIK she only found one but it was the main present she had asked Santa for. She asked me had Santa come early, I told her that we were minding it for a lady her mother works with and think she accepted that.

Since she is six I'm part banking in her forgetting between now and christmas morning. The swapping presents seems like a good idea.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 206 ✭✭Creachadóir

I found the presents one year, and my mum told me that they were for my cousins. Then I saw one of the Saint Vincent de Paul adds on tv asking would your child like this from santa (and they'd a picture of a one eyed teddy or something...)? And I asked why santa would give poor children bad presents, shouldn't they get the best presents. She fobbed me off. Then I read my spraoi annual and it said that in other countries they have different people ( not Santa) that give children presents on Christmas Eve. So I was there asking her WHY again. So she told me the truth because she thought I was asking so many question because I had guessed. I hadn't :(

The moral of this long story is that children can be fobbed off easily and suspect nothing if you keep telling them what they want to hear!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

I was 10 when I was told, I was young for my class (6th) and the Nun came round at lunch and said "I know you girls know that there is no santa and your parents leave the presents, but please dont tell the younger classes", about 3 of us burst into tears! It was horrible, all the magic goes out of christmas when Santa is gone. I can't wait till my little guy is old enough to get the whole Santa thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

My 9 soon to be 10 year old still believes, this has him completely convienced
    http://www.noradsanta.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

My parents had the same issue when my sticky fingers searched the house for my presents when I was about 7. The quickly wrote a letter, from Santa, to my Parents asking if he could deliver the presents early, as there was no way he could do all the toys in my street all in the one night because Rudolph had a cold. I fell for it hook line and sinker. Worth a try?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

As long as I keep getting presents, I'm going to keep the faith. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Last year my niece found all her presents a couple of days before Christmas Eve. My sister said the toys were for the children of some third world country (forget where) and that they'd post them the next day. My niece was obviously upset as everything she stumbled across were things she wanted, so my sis suggested that she sit down and write another letter to Santa asking him to bring her the same gifts as those they sent to Africa (or wherever it was....)

It worked a treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

l3LoWnA wrote: »
    Last year my niece found all her presents a couple of days before Christmas Eve. My sister said the toys were for the children of some third world country (forget where) and that they'd post them the next day. My niece was obviously upset as everything she stumbled across were things she wanted, so my sis suggested that she sit down and write another letter to Santa asking him to bring her the same gifts as those they sent to Africa (or wherever it was....)

It worked a treat!

The illogic that will fool children is really remarkable sometimes! If her gifts were coming from Santa, surely her mother's sending away of the ones she saw shouldn't have had an effect on Santa's inventory.

But there's children for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The illogic that will fool children is really remarkable sometimes! If her gifts were coming from Santa, surely her mother's sending away of the ones she saw shouldn't have had an effect on Santa's inventory.

But there's children for you
    I find it amusing you use "illogic" and "Santa":D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

my mam never told us, heck im 20 and help her do santa and if i asked her she'd still say of course santa is real... i could never see myself telling a child santa isnt real...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

My 10 and 7 year old still believe, and yesterday was magical because of it. I only hope that at 11 and 8 we will have that same magic next year.

When my now 16yr old was 8 someone told him Santa wasn't real, I counter acted that by asking him the one rule of Santa ie being good, and asked him if the person who told him was good. Of course the answer was no - hence of course mummy and daddy have to buy HIM presents, otherwise he'd have nothing Christmas morning. Went down a treat, and had him believing until he went into 1st year. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Glad to say it all worked out grand for me, despite her finding the presents at the start of december. With all the excitement she completely forgot.

gillo wrote: »
    Glad to say it all worked out grand for me, despite her finding the presents at the start of december. With all the excitement she completely forgot.

Yeah things worked out great in the quality household as well. The fact that a double seater go kart was in the sitting room really dispelled her fears of santa not being real...

My wardrobes arent that big...

LONG LIVE SANTA!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

Glad to hear it all worked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

thats great...

my little one had a great week... Santa rang her on christmas eve (thank you spin103.8) and had a little chat with her...

Advertisement