Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

with only 6 months to go, will testers go easier?

Options
  • 28-11-2007 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

I believe in ireland the passrate is about 50% or thereabouts firsttime. with only 6months to go until the new driving permits come in , which will leave a lot of people in a lot of trouble ( getting to work and what not) there is a HUGE surge in the number of test applications. will the testers pass a few more folks to try to get through the huge quantities?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fguihen wrote: »
    only 6months to go until the new driving permits come in
    The Learner Permits were introduced on 30th October last!
    fguihen wrote:
    will the testers pass a few more folks to try to get through the huge quantities?
    If they can display that they are competent, I'm sure they will. Otherwise normal service will resume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

i believe that they will with the surge in test they not gonna look forward to people repeating they under orders from the minister to reduce waiting list as that what he promised

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

its amazing that this happened in the past, when they handed out licenses without tests about 30 years ago. you would think a country wouldnt let it get that bad again, but here we are...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

its amazing that this happened in the past, when they handed out licenses without tests about 30 years ago. you would think a country wouldnt let it get that bad again, but here we are...
    That happened in October 1979 when the waiting lists at some centres was over 2.5 years - incredible considering that there were probably one third of the vehicles on the road then than there are now.

Those who were on their second provisional licence in (old) Category C (now Category B) and who had already applied for the test were granted a licence. It was not announced in advance for obvious reasons but a cut off date was given (about 6 months previous) and those who applications were in on that date were the lucky ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

those were the days of the fabled £5 road tax, was insurance even needed back then? no traffic jams, and even if you did have to do a test it was around 10 times easier than it is now. because the government spends so much time bringing stuff inline with other EU countries we now have all this extra costs and beaurocracy. they do all they can in this country to keep people off the roads and its only going to get worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I can't see them going easier on people taking the tests. The waiting time seems to be much shorter than it was 2 of 3 years ago so a little bit of an extra delay due to the high number of applications must have been anticipated..they were never going to enforce those new regulations immediately about provisional drivers needing an accompanying fully licenced driver. What they did want is to push people on provisional licences to apply for the test and it had the desired effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ultanmac

Done my test a week and a half ago...was my second time to fail. It was an SGS tester and even though I failed because of a single major fault, I found that the tester didn't go easier overall. You really just need to be properly prepared and have a little bit of luck on the day. I really don't think they will go easier.

Also- I found that the roadsigns/rules of the road test at the start was far more comprehensive and much longer the second time. I actually found it tough where as it had been a breeze the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Yeah I doubt they are going easier, know of two people that failed in the past two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

I am still awaiting to hear from them with a test date.Applied a week before the leglislation was first announced (just in time for the surge) yet i'm sure the paper work for those poor fools having to take all these test applications was crazy the day before the leg kicked in!

Advertisement