Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Catalytic convertor gone in '05 golf plus

Options
  • 28-11-2007 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

car bought new in july '05 so warranty period is up....

has anyone come across the cat going so early? (57k kms)

and how do you rate my chances with VW customer service???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

replaced a cat @25,000 miles on a 04 Mk5 Golf 1.4 earlier this year, also at 45,000 on a Mk4 03 the year before.

Not unusual, but annoying nonetheless. Never tried claiming from VW either time though. wouldn't be very hopeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭folkswagen

thanks for the info Colm - what sort of money am I looking at to get it sorted?

Will I need to do it straight away?

Crosstownk would probably advise you better than me,
    I think VW will charge €700, an independant will fit the same (Bosal, I think) part for around €450

How do you know the cat is actually gone?

two mechanics - I was in denial!!!:)

I thought myself that it was little stones caught in the wheel hub/brakes because it happened about 6 months ago and the symptoms were similar:confused:

It won't be too bad if I get a spurious part fitted I suppose...

thanks for the info:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd say colm's estimate on the cost is close enough.

I strongly suggest you go to your local VW dealer and ask him to submit a goodwill request. The mileage is not really that high and it is quite soon for a cat to go (but by no means unheard of). If you have correct service history, VW may well offer to pay some (or all) of the cost. You have nothing to loose so it's well worth asking the question.

• Advertisement

thanks for the advice - I will let you know how I get on:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

In the Uk the warranty is 3 years. Again another Rip off Ireland joke.

Regardless of the road conditions here, you shouldnt have a problem like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I doubt VW will replace a cat on goodwill

You can damage it if you leave the car run our of Petrol/Diesel. A backfire will shatter the Ceramics. Same can happen if you Jumpstart it.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

are you sure that there isnt a 3 year warranty on your car - I though on 05 cars and after that there was a 3 year warranty..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

are you sure that there isnt a 3 year warranty on your car - I though on 05 cars and after that there was a 3 year warranty..

Even on new cars they only offer:
    2 years unlimited mileage, 3 years paintwork, 12 years body perforation, mobility warranty.

Taken from
    http://www.volkswagen.ie/configurator/index.cfm?fuseaction=vw.Technical&variantID=5837

• Advertisement

I have some more info now -

was in touch with the main dealer I bought it off - at first I got a straight answer of - we're sorry but the warranty is 2 years and that length is up now -

but after a little more talking they decided that certain things are actually covered on an extended warranty with VW as a goodwill gesture - and luckily the cat is one of those!!!

Anyway, at a quoted price of €980 just for the cat alone:eek: - it is a relief - however, they may still get it out of me with the labour:confused:

Not looking as bleak today as it was yesterday anyway:)

thanks

folkswagen wrote: »

Anyway, at a quoted price of €980 just for the cat alone:eek: - it is a relief - however, they may still get it out of me with the labour:confused:

Just to be clear - extended warranty should mean that it is completely covered. Certain components that are regularly failing are usually put on an extended warranty list. Current Ford Focus power steering hoses would be an example. Usually this extended warranty has time and/or mileage limitations. Every dealer will have a confidential bulletin listing what components are subject to extended warranty.

A goodwill gesture usually indicates that the manufacturer is willing to cover some or all of the costs irrespective of the fact that the warranty period has expired. Usually this is based on mileage and whether or not you have a full VW service history.

LOL @ Goodwill Gesture - it's been a VW catchphrase for decades. They make you feel like they are really pushing the boundaries to help you out :rolleyes:

it'd be interesting to see how much labour will be charged on the job, if the cat alone was priced at €980

So far I have gone to two independent mechanics and spoken to the dealers only by phone...

I have to take it to the dealers for an inspection next Wednesday and they will then decide if it is required and I will chat to them about whether or not the parts and labour is covered....and we'll take it from there -

Meanwhile - I will drive around with it sounding like a tin of loose nails:D

folkswagen wrote: »

Meanwhile - I will drive around with it sounding like a tin of loose nails:D

Ah yes - the old 'stones in a can of Coke' :D

Let us know how you fair out.

Car was booked in today to be examined by the main dealer where I bought it -

they confirmed that it was the cat that is gone -

and they will order a new one and will book the car in again when the part arrives -

and there will be no charge for the part(s) and labour-all covered under extended warranty:):):)

In the meantime I continue to drive the rattly car:D:D:D

Delighted that there will be noubt to pay anyway:)

Glad to hear it's all sorted for you - and your wallet :D

Advertisement