Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Raid Siren

Options
  • 28-11-2007 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭

there is one going off at the moment, does anyone know why this happens every now and then

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Where abouts you hearing it. If your around the South Circular Road/ Cork Street area as far as I know its coming from John Players on the S.C.R. its a film studio place nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mods, move this to the Baghdad forum please.....

Air raids, yea riiiiiiiiight :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

im in raheny but its so windy the sound must be travelling afar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

i was hearing something faintly sounding like an air raid siren for a while too.

i'm out in the northside. clontarf direction.

seemed to have stopped in the last few minutes. strange alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Vmaxer

One Goes off regular in Swords, I think its from the Swords Laboratories [Bristol-Myers Squibb] Facility. It can be heard for Miles, I think they must do Emergency training every few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I worked in the middle of Prague for a few months a couple of years ago.. they've got weekly air rade siren tests.

Freaked me out the first time I heard it :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Fier station in my home town used to use a air raid siren at the fire station to call the fire men to the station, although radio's replaced this in later years the siren and swicth still remained.

The switch was outside the station and until about 5 years ago anybody [passing by coyuld press it which wasn't fun for people living near by at 2am :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

its dublin port, dunno what its for tho, it was goin on during the champions league games, it ended round 1am

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I used to hear one twice a day in Clondalkin because we were near a quarry, and they'd sound the siren when they were blowing a part up

they don't always signal a Nazi attack, don't worry

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bryanmurr

they test the 1 in the airport once a week so it could be that either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm pretty sure it's from Dublin Port, they do emergency drills now and again.
    With millions of litres of fuel in those tanks you can understand why

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

SimpsonsHailAnts.jpg
    "Ladies and gentlemen, er, we've just lost the picture, but, uh, what we've seen speaks for itself. The Corvair spacecraft has been taken over — 'conquered', if you will — by a master race of giant space ants. It's difficult to tell from this vantage point whether they will consume the captive earth men or merely enslave them. One thing is for certain, there is no stopping them; the ants will soon be here. And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted TV personality, I can be helpful in rounding up others to...toil in their underground sugar caves."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Lots of those sirens in Dublin port. anyone old enough to remember the big fire there back in the 70s will remember the sirens going all night. That combined with exploding gas tanks made it sound like a bloody air raid too, and I remember planking myself when I woke up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

If you're in Raheny and you think the sound was travelling it might have been the quarry in Kinsealy. They usually sound it in the morning before they set off an explosion.

I've just moved into Kinsealy and took a day off a couple of weeks ago. Heard the siren then about half an hour later the whole house shook. Thought it was an earthquake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Sometimes heard from Rathmines barracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

The siren noise around Raheny is from the Fire Station at Tonlegee Rd/Raheny Rd. I live around there and it goes off a lot. I'm guessing its something to do with the lads being called out on a call. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Dubsmax wrote: »
    One Goes off regular in Swords, I think its from the Swords Laboratories [Bristol-Myers Squibb] Facility. It can be heard for Miles, I think they must do Emergency training every few months.

As far as i know that one is for the fire-station around the corner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

There does be one or was one till a few yrs ago of a siren beside Ashtown Riding stables, just in by the canal at the tracks.(west side)
    Despite me walking the woof woof up there and both of us nearly deafened by it, i never found its source, anyone know?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

gurramok wrote: »
    There does be one or was one till a few yrs ago of a siren beside Ashtown Riding stables, just in by the canal at the tracks.(west side)
    Despite me walking the woof woof up there and both of us nearly deafened by it, i never found its source, anyone know?

THat believe it or not is the burglar alarm at the Dog Pound in the grounds Ashton House. Its forever going off. The Teagasc place also has one of those sirens as part of its alarm system and that can be heard as far away as the Halfway house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

Was going off again ten minutes ago in the Raheny area again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

If there really was an emergency ie: something like sellafield been blown up or an earthquake / tsunami or some major diaster would they sound an air raid siren? Surely they dont use them in Ireland?

Anyone see the spot light shining up into the sky the past few nights, wonder if they are related :confused:

yeah spotted that the other night then saw it again in town coming from the four courts area

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Joe Robot wrote: »
    The siren noise around Raheny is from the Fire Station at Tonlegee Rd/Raheny Rd. I live around there and it goes off a lot. I'm guessing its something to do with the lads being called out on a call. :confused:

wouldnt say that was the cause. i lived only 500 metres away from that station for 25 years and not once did i even hear anything remotely like an air raid siren coming from it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Its Silent Hill calling all its children back lads!! I'd get worried if I were you lot!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

miju wrote: »
    wouldnt say that was the cause. i lived only 500 metres away from that station for 25 years and not once did i even hear anything remotely like an air raid siren coming from it

Thats strange, I hear it a good bit. I remember hearing it when I went to school in the Della too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

my hearing must be ****e so :)

Joe Robot wrote: »
    Thats strange, I hear it a good bit. I remember hearing it when I went to school in the Della too.

I went to the Della too, for 6 years, and never heard that siren (which is being discussed now). I did hear alarm bells but the noise off them is nothing compared to the siren which is much louder.

i too was in the della and never heard it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

miju wrote: »

Your right it wouldn't be coming from kilbarrack station as that is fulltime (lads in there 24/7)

In the past they were used to call retained firefighters (part time, hold down a day job and respond to station when call comes through) to the station before the era of pagers

The old swords firestation had one outside, but now the new station is full time there is no need. There is still one in bristol-myers squibb pharmaceuticals who use it during drills, set it off around 12pm

Advertisement