Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Raid Siren

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

most of the sounds that ppl hear that sound like an air raid siren are external sounders called master blasters. they are a mains power siren that an intruder alarm panel usually trips when activated.fitted quite a few and its not nice when you have to test them.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

yeah spotted that the other night then saw it again in town coming from the four courts area

Those lights in the sky are coming from smithfield for the ice rink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

;)yea i worked on scr and heard it to .so your not going mad once a month the army barracks in rathmines used it as part of their training ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

happy xmas to one and all...........:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

Going off again now. Really annoying at this stage :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

raheny red wrote: »
    Going off again now. Really annoying at this stage :mad:

sure Its not all in yer head Red?
    I went to the della too (time for a della forum??) and it was enough to make a man think he was hearing all sorts of things.......;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

deswalsh wrote: »
    sure Its not all in yer head Red?
    I went to the della too (time for a della forum??) and it was enough to make a man think he was hearing all sorts of things.......;)

especially when woody lost it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

especially when woody lost it:D

:D

Thankfully I didn't have him as a teacher. :p

Lets not forget Titch :D

raheny red wrote: »
    Lets not forget Titch :D

yeah, remember one ball! cullen was another nutter

• Advertisement

hahaha I was taller than titch when I was sitting down. It was hilarious. :p

Jaysus, Cullen...he hated me with a vengence. He always reminded me of Fr. Jack from Father Ted. :D

Joe Robot wrote: »

Jaysus, Cullen...he hated me with a vengence. He always reminded me of Fr. Jack from Father Ted. :D

my whole class was put on detention for shouting father jack's trademark sayings at him. it was mid 90's, at the height of father ted

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

LOL, Father Jack - thats spot on!
    I'd forgotten all about Titch though. Woody and Cullen are imprinted on the back of the brainthere with all the other scary things in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Okay I've been hearing this on and off since 8pm and it stopped sometime after 10.

Really does sound like one of those old wind up air raid sirens. I'm in Fairview here and it sounds like its coming from miles away. Must be annoying for those living near it but seriously, anyone know WTF is going on?????????

I'm very annoyed, somebody ring Joe Duffy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

As said before, it's from Dublin Port. It's for the umpteen storage tanks holding petrol. What makes it worse, I work right next door to the siren. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

bennyx_o wrote: »
    As said before, it's from Dublin Port. It's for the umpteen storage tanks holding petrol. What makes it worse, I work right next door to the siren. :(

Granted you say that its for the storage tanks, but why is it going off?

I'm living in Clontarf and it was going off for most of yesterday evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

civil defence in the Phoenix park used to have one, not sur eif they still do

GRRRR, was going off for 20 mins this morning from 4.20 till 4.40. Poxy thing woke me up :mad:

i heard it too. its an awful pain in the swiss

• Advertisement

Surely it's against some sort of law going off at that time if there is no emergency?

Go find it.
    Next time it goes off, go find it again but bring a sledge hammer.
    Hit it hard.
    Really hard.
    Remember all the times it pissed you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

bennyx_o wrote: »

Agreed, it must be noted that are many different companys operating in the docks area. Most of these have a Hi-haz designation, if one of these sites goes into fire alarm then the Dublin Port sends an audible alert (siren) to all users of the Port. This will include office workers and foreign sailors, so the best alert signal is this warning sound.wind patterns will make this sound very close to the Dublin 3,5,and 1 area.

There is also a siren in the ESB ballycoolin site it "sings" at all audibile levels so that all operators will be aware of the fire/danger.

Of course all these sounders should be tested once weekly to conform to i.s.3218 which is the fire standard for all systems big or small.

I hope this is explains some of the alerts heard

I heard it up past Stephens Green the other day when I had the window open in the office.
    Bloody annoying. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I heard it up past Stephens Green the other day when I had the window open in the office. Bloody annoying. :mad:
    So if there is an ammunition fire in Cathal Brugha Barracks, you don't want the situation dealt with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dublindave20

4:00 am Fecking thing woke Me up
    I thought Sellafield was coming to get Me....
    Im Wrecked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

a siren from 11 till 4 in the evening

ah most of this thread is from 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I'm on Clonliffe Road and the bloody thing kept me awake last night. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 stephen_b

im in the ifsc so had a nice wake up call at 4am,hadnt a clue what was going on for the first few seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Heard it loud at the Malahide Hilton last night.

Advertisement