Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quad sli. would these 2 cards do it?

Options
  • 29-11-2007 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

right, ive started thinking of my new rig :)

not finished my lanbox yet but this one is coming up fast :)

looking for some info if this works...

ive got one of these,
    http://www.evga.com/articles/321.asp
    and hopefully getting another soon.

would they work in quad sli? they're 2 gpu's on the 1 board, so i assume they will run fine in sli.

anyway, was thinking its best to go with an nforce board.
    any reccomendations on what could run it?

was thinking of throwing quad extreme in it aswel with a hell of a lot of ram.

probably gonna be used for gaming, but also to run 3 or 4 monitor's at once.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They would but everything I've heard about quad sli is bad. It's meant to be really buggy and it's really not worth it. I haven't heard anything about in a while so it may have gotten better. I'd say you'd be better off getting 2 8800gt's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

yeah was thinking that. but lots of reviews say its easily done, and with newer drivers, its pretty good. also configs are easier to make for sli. just wondering if vista would handle it at all.

but who knows. still think i might build it to see what i can do with it. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'd still say an 8800gt would kick it's ass. Also the 8800gt is a dx10 card so you have all the extra loveliness of dx10.

Even if the newer drivers are better for it, you would have less problems running 2 8800gt's in sli then you would running quad sli and you'd get better performance as well. The 8800's will probably overclock better than the gx2's.

Even if the quad sli outperforms 8800gt sli, it won't be by much and it'd be a bit of a waste of money going with dx9 now.

I'd seriously reconsider it if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Gx2 Sli will not outperform 8800GT Sli. In fact a single 8800Gt probably beats Gx2 sli. Performance is nowhere near the power of the full 2 cards, so look at it logically. A 320mb GTS kicks the GX2's ass in newer games, and the GT is much more powerful then the GTS. Sli is only going to give you a moderate boost at best, and the GX2 already, as a single card, lags light years behind the 8800GT.

Also Keep in mind a lot of games don't support Sli, in fact, some of them preform worse. I had nightmares with a single Gx2 a few months ago with a lot of games, don't even want to consider two of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

alas im talked down. :)

8800gt's it is so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement