Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT error

Options
  • 29-11-2007 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭

A quck question for anyone who knows anything about the VRT system. Let's say hypothetically speaking, someone 'accidentally' put down an extra 100,000 miles on the VRT form and it was never visually checked. Is there a possibility the discrepancy might show up somewhere down the line on cartell etc.
    Is the mileage recorded on a database that could show, car imported at 200,000 in 2007, last service 100,000 in 2008 and the car will look like it's been clocked. Or is it just written on the form and forgotten once you pay the bill?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Hypothetically...your a scumbag if you do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

As tax fraud goes, I have to say that this is the dumbest one i've heard so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They generally do tend to go out and verify the odometer reading on high mileage cars, just incase the owner is trying to pull a fast one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Anyone I know recently that imported a car the VRO official didn't even leave their desk.

I heard of a guy who got the jail for doing exactly what the OPs hypothetical situation entials. Putting down high mileage to bring down the VRT cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

bazz26 wrote: »
    They generally do tend to go out and verify the odometer reading on high mileage cars, just incase the owner is trying to pull a fast one.

My car had 144000 miles on it and they didnt check; I'm sure it would come to light eventually as they do enter all the details off the form into a database; possibly might be sent to the NCT database... hard to know exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I was testing this with the VRT calculator and adding extra millage doesn't seem to make a big difference to the VRT amount. Not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Tails142 wrote: »
    .....possibly might be sent to the NCT database... hard to know exactly.

Integration? With a state run company & a privately run company I don't think so. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Let's say hypothetically speaking, someone 'accidentally' put down an extra 100,000 miles on the VRT form

There's very little discount in VRT for high mileage cars. Cheque for yourself in the VRT calculator (see sticky). An example:

Audi A4 1.9TDI 130 BHP 2003

50K miles - VRT: €4,585
    200k miles - VRT: €4,268

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

i actually made that very misteak, i put down 450000 instead of 45000, she asked me for the fee and i was short a few hundred of euro, so i went down to the bank and when i returned and she was re processing it she then realised.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

i actually made that very misteak, i put down 450000 instead of 45000, she asked me for the fee and i was short a few hundred of euro, so i went down to the bank and when i returned and she was re processing it she then realised.

People likely do that accidentally all the time. Getting jail time for that sounds like total BS IMO.

As mentioned, the mileage related difference to VRT is tiny anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Anyone I know recently that imported a car the VRO official didn't even leave their desk.

I heard of a guy who got the jail for doing exactly what the OPs hypothetical situation entials. Putting down high mileage to bring down the VRT cost.

Yeah I heard the prisons are full of people who put high mileage on their VRT forms...:rolleyes:

Advertisement