Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is my bandwidth going to??

Options
  • 29-11-2007 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

Okay, I have a download monitor that's showing 578kbs download in realtime. Yet Im only downloading 1 file from nVidia and it's taking 15 minutes to 80% of a 40 meg file at 55k kb/s a second, Am i mising something??

Eircom 2 meg.

screeny.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Your download speed is 578kb/s OR 55kB/s - b=bit B=byte, 8 bits in a byte, you should get around 1/8th of the bit rate in Bytes.

Doesn't explain the reason for the slow speeds in the first place - Eircom 2Mb should have true downlaod speeds of ~1750kb/210kB. Could be contention, but that's unlikely at 12.30am...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

578kbs is roughly 55kBs.
    kilobits versus kilobytes.

+ edit
    beaten :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Kilo-bits per second

My contention is at 28/1 according to Eircom. Even at that, i doubt less than a third of them are online at 00:38, and that's if there are even 28 users for that.

• Advertisement

Hmm. Mine has been going on and off lately but I think that's my modem...have you a Sky+ box or similar plugged in anywhere? If not give eircom a bell, and be prepared to be very assertive in asking for a supervisor, because if there's a problem that's the only way you'll find anything out.

No Sky+ or anything like that plugged in :(

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭XDA

The first thing to do is log in to your router (usually its at 192.168.1.254 user id admin, password 1234) and check the status page to see what speed you are actually connected to the exchange at. You say you have 2MB eircom connection so it should be 2048/256.

If its lower than this then try resetting your router, if your connection speed doesn't return to normal after a router reboot, you probably have a line fault - look at the line attenuation and signal to noise ratio in the router status page. If the values are high it indicates a bad line.

Regards

XDA

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

While its eircom 2MB, perhaps eircom only have you on a 512K line, whats your sync rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Contention on Eircom 2meg is 48/1.

Did you log into your modem to check your line stats?
    If you're using the Eircom supplied Netopia go to:
    http://192.168.1.254 -->Troubleshooting-->Statistics-->Connection

• Advertisement

connection is at 2048/256

how do i check my sync rate??

Line Attenuation
    43/27 dB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

Log on to the router (usually at the address http://192.168.1.254), and then poke around for something like STATISTICS. On the eircom netopia routers, the subheading you need is DSL. You should be able to find all the relevant bits there, i.e line sync, line attenuation and SN Margin.

I've included a snapshot of my stats. My sync rate (3072/384) is listed next to Max Allowed Speed (kbps).

Line Attenuation
    43/27 dB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Line Attenuation
    43/27 dB

You already did.:)
    connection is at 2048/256

2048/256 is your sync speed which is correct for your package.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Isn't it possible that nvidia may be limiting the d/l speed you're getting ? I regularly get downloads that are throttled by the site and not the ISP.

Try downloading a couple of files and see what the total bandwidth is across all the files.

I have a 3Mb connection but it's not unusual to get a download speed of 20 or 30 Kb from some sites - they could just be busy !?

ZEN

ZENER wrote: »
    Isn't it possible that nvidia may be limiting the d/l speed you're getting ? I regularly get downloads that are throttled by the site and not the ISP.

Try downloading a couple of files and see what the total bandwidth is across all the files.

I have a 3Mb connection but it's not unusual to get a download speed of 20 or 30 Kb from some sites - they could just be busy !?

ZEN

Wouldn't explain his speedtest.net result though, would it? ;)

Any luck solving the problem yet neuromancer? If not, once you've tried router reset give eircom a bell, bit of troubleshooting with them does no harm. A hard reset may work, push and hold button for at least 6 seconds. Before you do this make sure to make note of the settings on http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net to put back into it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't explain his speedtest.net result though, would it? ;)

My bad I guess. Those speedtest sites aren't always accurate I get results that vary between a 1Mb and a 3Mb connection depending on the time of day I test it. If Eircom had stepped the speed back it would be visible on the router page but the OP says it's reading as 2048Kb down speed - a customer of mine had to get his line stepped back to 128Kb and it appeared almost immediately on the router config.

With 48/1 contention and possibly living in a high density area with lot's of non nationals using skype or Asterisk to call home who knows ?! Anyway hope you get sorted or even compensated but I doubt it somehow - those magic words in the T&Cs " Up To 2Mb . . . " :(

ZEN

It varies considerably from time of day, for example I was getting pings of 400+ at 2am Thursday morning. Meh, if it really gets worrying, and unbearable, I''ll call Eircom support.

Shame they don't work at night to see my problem. Thanks for the help guys. I might give my router a hard reset too, see any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It's probably connection. I now get very bad connection on eircom 3 mbit.

Try your connection between 1 a.m - 7 a.m and I bet you get the full 2 mbit.

Advertisement