Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young skeptics & atheists

Options
  • 29-11-2007 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

My rather precocious 12 year old nephew has declared himself an atheist in school causing much clamour in his confirmation-bound sixth class.
    As his godfather (there was an odd choice) I like to think it's due to my bad influence.

Anyone suggest any good resources or books for a budding realist?
    I've got some ideas from the web already, but I'd be very grateful if someone could recommend something they have personally encountered.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I'd suggest getting him some good science books rather than books about atheism in particular. Otherwise you may be accused of indoctrinating him with "faith".

Carl Sagan perhaps? His books cover both science and religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

I recommend getting him a subscription to 'SKEPTIC' magazine ... loads of stuff related to atheism, science, critical thinking etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭TheThing!

On iTunes look up the skeptics guide to the universe, an excellent resource when combined with the website. I listen to the pobcast regularly and I find it both entertaining and informative

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Get him the bible. One read and he'll know it's nonsense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement