Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ammunition - adjusting

Options
  • 29-11-2007 6:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭

I was speaking to a shooting buddy the other day and he said that he wasn't reloading his own ammo but that he was 'adjusting' factory ammo, e.g. adjusting headspace. He has the press, dies and a bullet puller etc.

Do any of the re-loaders out there think this is a good/bad idea and would it be worth the expense for the equipment for any potential increase in accuracy?

Would this be 'illegal' as you wouldn't technically be reloading ammo ?

Thoughts & impressions please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

I had a similar conversation with a guy who has been in the target shooting game for a long time. Technically it should be a big improvment. Legally not sure, but I cant see a problem, as all you are doing is fine tuning the round. I recon its a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ousty

bunny shooter & dbar
    Ammunition - adjusting

Factory bullets are made to a spec
    To alter that spec is not illegal but it is dangerous and can cause a gun to explode. Its rare for it to happen but it can . I assume your friend just pulls the head out of the case a little . I think if the bullet was more accruate pulled out a bit the factory would make them that way
    I load my own bullets about 15000 per anum, (yes fifteen thousant rounds) & I am allowed by law to hold 46000 rounds TOTAL. I load
    .32ACP/.32S&W Long/.38/357Mag/9mm/.44Spec/.44Mag/.45ACP/&.45Long Colt. I have been loading my own for 20 Years & in a ransom rest I have proof that my ammo is more accruate than factory ammo exept .32 S&W Long made by Lapau , but it cost €23.80 a box, makeing my own costs €7.50 a box(50)
    Hope that answers your Q
    ousty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭2347

My god you are one lucky b*****d where do you live?:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ousty

Jersey
    and you are welcome to come here and shoot anytime
    see this tread
    Target Shooting
    (Zaraba) Target shooting clubs
    (Kryten) www.cityofdublinpistolclub
    Photos
    C.O.D.P.C Members Visit jersey pistol club May 2006
    Photos Gerry Kelly (hon sec) & John Sheehan
    As you will see we are not the only shooting club on this Island
    also see attachment
    ousty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭2347

Cool :) If I ever decide to move it will be to Jersey:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

ousty wrote: »
    bunny shooter & dbar
    Ammunition - adjusting

Factory bullets are made to a spec
    To alter that spec is not illegal but it is dangerous and can cause a gun to explode. Its rare for it to happen but it can . I assume your friend just pulls the head out of the case a little . I think if the bullet was more accruate pulled out a bit the factory would make them that way
    I load my own bullets about 15000 per anum, (yes fifteen thousant rounds) & I am allowed by law to hold 46000 rounds TOTAL. I load
    .32ACP/.32S&W Long/.38/357Mag/9mm/.44Spec/.44Mag/.45ACP/&.45Long Colt. I have been loading my own for 20 Years & in a ransom rest I have proof that my ammo is more accruate than factory ammo exept .32 S&W Long made by Lapau , but it cost €23.80 a box, makeing my own costs €7.50 a box(50)
    Hope that answers your Q
    ousty

We were discussing reloading for rifle ammo. I was referring specifically to accurate measurement of powder, bullet run-out, target primers, meplat trimming. These are things that will vastly improve factory rifle ammo. I would take it that anyone who discusses reloading is well aware of the dangers as a minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

factory bullets are set to a spec to suit all makes/types of gun,
    your friend is only adjusting his bullet seating depth forward to
    where it suits his paricular firearm-most 22 centrefires like the bullet
    close to or nearly touching the lands- he will probably lose some pressure as he will be increasing the the space left remaining in the case,there
    is also the possibility that he could cause a pressure spike if the bullet is seated to deep in the rifling-remember as its a factory load he will probably not know the powder or blend of powder thats in his case.

proper reloading needs to be worked up slowly and carefully-he may get the cart before the horse..........

Advertisement