Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Smiths' track?

Options
  • 29-11-2007 7:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

For me it's impossible to pick because there are so many.

But i would say up there would be:
    'Heaven knows i'm miserable now' for it's stark simple lyrics and melody.
    'How soon is now': The guitars in it are really powerful and again the beautiful desperation of the lyrics.
    'Girlfriend in a coma': Beautiful melody working ironically with depressing lyrics.

OK there are probably another dozen i could throw in like 'There is a light', 'Gene' etc but i was wondering what other people's favourite Smiths' tracks are.

It's a bit of a cliche but the combination of Marr's jangling guitar and Morrissey's plaintive yet melodic singing is nothing short of sublime-simply one of the best combinations in pop music history.
    Not a huge fan of Morrissey's solo stuff though- always feel Marr's jangling guitar is missing..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Cemetary Gates for me I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Paint a Vulgar Picture - FTW
    Ironic that the song deals with the re-issuing of a dead stars back catalogue, something the Smiths themselves fell foul to (without one of the dying of course).
    Best lyrics the man ever wrote IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Suffer Little Children has to be my favorite. Followed closely by The Boy with the thorn in his side and There is a light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Big Mouth Strikes Again is one of about 30 Smiths songs that always make me feel better than I did just before I heard them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Hard to pick but currently:

What difference does it make? (from the peel sessions /Hatfull of Hollow, not the version on The Smiths)
    Jeanne
    Well I wonder
    Bigmouth strikes again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Has to be there is a light
    with
    some girls are bigger than others
    Girlfriend in A Coma
    Panic!
    Bigmouth..
    Headmaster Ritual and This Charming man not too far behind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Too many to choose from but of the slightly less obvious ones a favourite for me would be 'That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore'.

So much has been said and written about them but they're one of the few bands whose music really does live up to the hype, and still sounds as good as ever.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

'That Joke isn't funnny anymore'

'Unloveable'

'Headmaster Ritual'

Three favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Too many to choose from but of the slightly less obvious ones a favourite for me would be 'That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore'.

So much has been said and written about them but they're one of the few bands whose music really does live up to the hype, and still sounds as good as ever.

Absolutely.
    Only 5 years together and they were an institution in British music.
    They really have a unique sound that no other band i can think of has emulated.
    Many say they only appeal to depressive types but i don't think that's true.
    I think anyone can appreciate atleast some of their stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

There Is A Light That Never Goes out, Girlfriend in a Coma, Ask and Shoplifters of the World Unite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

"How soon is now" - one of the greatest songs of all time by anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭T.G Catter

There Is A Light That Never Goes out
    Stop me
    Some girls are bigger than others

Hard to pick out of a vault of greats.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I Know Its Over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Actually i just listened again to "There is a light that never goes out" again recently and i'm reminded how utterly beautiful it is.
    Probably the song that got me interested in the Smiths in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Like a lot of previous contributors, identifying my favourite Smiths track is an impossibility for me. There are so many which I would get equal enjoyment out of. Possible contenders: Heaven Knows etc., There is a Light..., William It Was Really Nothing, The Queen is Dead but that's just off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

there is a light would probably be one of my most favourite songs of all time but i also like please please please.. Morrissey as a solo artist has a much larger collection, and probably a more diverse one too. Find myself listening to more of that lately: ouija board; hold on to your friends; why don't you find out for yourself; speedway; why don't you find out for yourself. GOD, there's so many!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭dh2007

I love all of them!

But if I had to choose
    'there is a light that never goes out'
    and I don't think anyone mentioned
    'Half a Person'. I think that's probably my fav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭dh2007

PS has anyone heard the Puppini Sister's version of Panic?? Hilarious!

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai6EBv3LbyA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

For me like others on here, it's very hard to pick one track as being my favourite but I kind of go throught phases of listening to one track more than others.

At the moment its "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before".
    A classic.

Advertisement